Waterproof splice

Status
Not open for further replies.

salm10

I'm running a pair of #10's to a quazite box in a lawn and from there splicing to six facade floodlights, all with #10. Lawn is poorly drained and water in the box is inevitable. With seven #10's in each splice, I and owner want a foolproof watertight splice. Any ideas? I'm thinking heat shrink over something (blue scotchlock?) or a split bolt? Thanks in advance.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
There are all kinds of waterproof splice kits available. The problem I see is 7 - #10 conductors in a splice. You may want to split the splice so that you have 4 under one connector and a pigtail to the other 3. You will now have 5 under one and 4 under the other.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
A scotchcast kit, no 88 is very reliable, but once its cast, you are done.
I have installed hundreds of direct burial rated wirenuts, never a failure.
Keep in mind a split bolt is typically only good for 2 wires, not as many as you can fit.
Take a look at burndy for some WP splice taps.

Rampage_Rick

If I can't fit a splice into a 3M DBR, then my next choice is UraSeal. Could probably make an ES200S work with 7x 10ga

Underground_Splice_Kits.jpg

I save Scotchcast for things like submersible pump cords. $50 vs $20 per splice starts to add up. After working at a golf course with literally thousands of buried splices, you learn what doesn't last.

Status
Not open for further replies.