2 story 8 apartment remodel - NM ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JW11X17

Remodel of brick dorm building into 8 apartments, 2 story, new inside wood frame walls and ceiling. Engineer says NM cable is not allowed per code, but city and bidding electric contractors says it is. Engineer pulled drawings and before I find another engineer, Is NM (romex) cable allowed inside the wood framing ?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
It can be depending on the classification of the building. If the inspection department allows it then it is good but if the engineers plans says you cannot use 34NM then you ust follow the plans. I would ask the building inspector to classify the building and see if it jives with 334.10 and then let the engineer know

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Most likely allowed unless prohibited by local ordinance, however, to make sure check the plans for type construction and compare to 334.10

334.10Uses Permitted.

Type NM, Type NMC, and Type NMS cables shall be permitted to be used in the following,
except as prohibited in 334.12:
(1) One- and two-family dwellings and their attached or detached garages, and their storage buildings.
(2) Multifamily dwellings permitted to be of Types III, IV,and V construction.

(3) Other structures permitted to be of Types III, IV, and V construction. Cables shall be concealed within walls, floors, or ceilings that provide a thermal barrier of material that has at least a 15-minute finish rating as identified in listings of fire-rated assemblies

NY State does not use Annex E, they use their own classification system - although it is very similar.

I would check the plans, the classification type is supposed to be documented. If not, call the Bldg Dept.
And, as has been mentioned, check to see there are no specifications that state otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.