Electrical panel in closet

Status
Not open for further replies.

John120/240

I have this situation in my home built in 1955. No inspection when built. I found a copy of a 1950's code book here...http://www.lindahall.org/. It just states "Electrical panels shall not be located in the vicinity of easily ignitable material" or similar verbiage. Isn't "Clothes closet" mentioned specifically in todays code ?

I couldn't find the link :(

How do I view the book for free?

It's a Libiary, You would have to visit in person I believe. You might try an E-Mail to www.lindahall.org

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
You find the main by seeing where the service enters the house. Something easily observable from outside of the house. If there is no main there, it's going to be just inside the home near that point. Sure, you might have to look around for clues, but it shouldn't take longer than a minute or two.

kwired

Electron manager
You find the main by seeing where the service enters the house. Something easily observable from outside of the house. If there is no main there, it's going to be just inside the home near that point. Sure, you might have to look around for clues, but it shouldn't take longer than a minute or two.
Not always that simple. I have done several buildings both residential and non residential that have entry below grade and therefore nothing on outside to give you much for clues on where point of entry is. Typical buildings in cities/villages often have meter on the building and then you have a good idea, but when meter is not on the building all bets are off as to where entry is and it could even be below slab or basement floor and emerge in an interior location.

I also remember one home we did maybe 20-25 years ago - we hit the meter on one area of home, but then ran back underground and under slab and emerged to main panel in the interior portion of the basement instead of near an exterior wall.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
Well, I was being slightly facetious. I do live in MA after all where houses still stand with the first generation of electrical systems still intact.

My larger point is that people who are looking for it usually can pick up clues on where to find it. And people who live in the house should locate it before they sleep in the house for the first time.

kwired

Electron manager
Well, I was being slightly facetious. I do live in MA after all where houses still stand with the first generation of electrical systems still intact.

My larger point is that people who are looking for it usually can pick up clues on where to find it. And people who live in the house should locate it before they sleep in the house for the first time.

Most of us who participate at this site probably will naturally do so. Other non electricians or even non mechanical or scientific minded people are not even going to come close to thinking about it. There likely are some that have lived or worked in same place for years and if you asked have no clue where electric distribution type equipment is located in their home or place of work, others may know there is something electrical in a particular area - but not really know what it is all about.

Status
Not open for further replies.