Transfer switch switching neutral

Status
Not open for further replies.

mccayry

I have run into a utility district that requires the neutral to be switched at the transfer switch for a residential generator install.(First for me!) I already have a 1phase transfer switch and do not want to have to spend another $1000 on a 3 phase switch. My thought was to get a NO contactor in order to switch the neutral. Does anyone see anything wrong with that and maybe a recommendation on where to find one? Thanks

ron

You wouldn't have a UL listed assembly if you put pieces together.

You might also damage stuff in the home if the load is energized and the neutral opens without coordinating with the phase transfer. An open neutral can cause voltage transients / swells for 120V loads.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Even within a single transfer switch (either automatic or manual) which switches the neutral, many include a special mechanical construction such that the neutral is not interrupted until a fraction after all ungrounded leads are opened, and the neutral is then closed to the alternate power source before any of the ungrounded conductors are closed. Note that simply using a three-phase three contact TS (without explicit provision for the neutral) will NOT give you that extra protection that a single phase three wire transfer switch could include.
The alternative, to completely prevent even a temporary open neutral condition, is to use an overlapping contact switch that parallels the two sources momentarily during the transfer (with all of the specialized protective gear that requires.)

The possibilities of the additional relay having mismatched timing characteristics or just plain failing lead to a high risk of damage to equipment.

mccayry

Thank you for the replies. I will be using a 3 phase switch to accomplish this. I have attached a wiring diagram for anyone who may run into the same scenario.

Attachments

• RTS 3 Phase switch neutral.pdf
    119.9 KB · Views: 2
Status
Not open for further replies.