400' outlet. voltage drop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

electricblue

Occupation
EC
I gotta run an 120v outlet out 400' on a bridge. The volt drop calc says i need a #4 to #2. Can I buck the voltage up at the beginning and use a smaller wire?

iwire

Staff member
I gotta run an 120v outlet out 400' on a bridge. The volt drop calc says i need a #4 to #2.

That sounds excessive.

What did you use as the load current for the voltage drop calculator?

Can I buck the voltage up at the beginning and use a smaller wire?

No, the problem with that idea is the 'no load' voltage will be too high at the far end.

You could send 240 out to the bridge which would cut the current in half and reduce the wire size. At the far end you would install a 240 to 120 transformer.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
That sounds excessive.

What did you use as the load current for the voltage drop calculator?

No, the problem with that idea is the 'no load' voltage will be too high at the far end.

You could send 240 out to the bridge which would cut the current in half and reduce the wire size. At the far end you would install a 240 to 120 transformer.

I agree that a step down might be a better solution maybe even 480/120 if available. I'm wondering, for a bridge what would you use as the grounding electrode for the derived neutral?

electricblue

Occupation
EC
I did 20amp for the load. I can't put a tx at the end. It would not last very long that close to saltwater. It's a concrete bridge. I'm gonna go get clarification on the specific load.

iwire

Staff member
I agree that a step down might be a better solution maybe even 480/120 if available.

If 480 was available I would use it for sure but I assumed his max available voltage was 240.

I'm wondering, for a bridge what would you use as the grounding electrode for the derived neutral?

The devil is in the details as always, I was picturing having to put the transformer, GES and OCPD near the bridge not on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.