Service Entrance Conductors

Status
Not open for further replies.

NEC User

I have a utility pad-mount transformer located 20 feet from the building. My electrical room is not on the first floor. My service entrance conductors from the utility transformer to the Main Disconnect inside of the building are routed using RMC conduit. Once inside of the building the conduit is mostly routed within a 2" concrete slab within the walls of the building. The electrical room is located within the middle of the building. The conduit is routed from the wall/concrete slab approximately 25 feet without being encased in concrete. I'm not sure if there is a way to keep the conduit encased within concrete until it gets to the main disconnect switch which is part of the MDP. It may not be feasible to encase the service entrance conduit within concrete for this additional 25 foot run.

I'm considering recommending to install the main disconnect switch on the exterior of the building. This way the service entrance conductors are only from the utility transformer to the main disconnect installed nearby. Then I shouldn't have to worry about the conduit from the exterior main disconnect routed through the building to get to the MDP not being encased in concrete because they are no longer considered service entrance conductors.

Your thoughts?

MasterTheNEC

CEO and President of Electrical Code Academy, Inc.
Occupation
CEO
I have a utility pad-mount transformer located 20 feet from the building. My electrical room is not on the first floor. My service entrance conductors from the utility transformer to the Main Disconnect inside of the building are routed using RMC conduit. Once inside of the building the conduit is mostly routed within a 2" concrete slab within the walls of the building. The electrical room is located within the middle of the building. The conduit is routed from the wall/concrete slab approximately 25 feet without being encased in concrete. I'm not sure if there is a way to keep the conduit encased within concrete until it gets to the main disconnect switch which is part of the MDP. It may not be feasible to encase the service entrance conduit within concrete for this additional 25 foot run.

I'm considering recommending to install the main disconnect switch on the exterior of the building. This way the service entrance conductors are only from the utility transformer to the main disconnect installed nearby. Then I shouldn't have to worry about the conduit from the exterior main disconnect routed through the building to get to the MDP not being encased in concrete because they are no longer considered service entrance conductors.

Your thoughts?
Sounds like a good plan to me.....These Service Conductors-Underground or Service-Entrance Conductors, underground (depending on your service point I guess) would indeed end at your service equipment and after that let your feeders fly. The only exception to this rule would be if the building is broken into individual buildings due to fire walls creating separate addresses (buildings, it's jurisdictional thing...used to happen a lot in Virginia) in which case the feeders can't pass through one legal property to another but does not sound like you are having this issue.

You are given some options in Section 230.6 but it sounds like you have vetted all the options.

Status
Not open for further replies.