GAZEBO WIRING

Status
Not open for further replies.

valence

is it permissable to run electrical wiring between the roof & spanish tile roofing material with air gap in between , roof & tile , this has been asked in
order to conceal wiring for gazebo , thanks

JDBrown

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
It's important to remember that you can't treat the space under the shingles as a raceway (even if it's kind of shaped like one), you still need to use an approved wiring method. In other words, you can't just run THWN/THHN conductors under the tile; you need to run conduit or exterior-rated cable under the tile. Also, don't forget to take temperature into account when sizing your conductors -- it's likely to get pretty hot under those Spanish tiles when the sun's beating down on them.

valence

gazebo wiring

gazebo wiring

thanks for your responses , was planning to use #12 uf in a carflex for protection , the heat was my main concern too , did research on the tiles , & the roof is 40 % cooler than your normal roof , but this is texas & it gets really hot , but it would seem that this would still be as hot as a hot attic , the only problem i saw with running the conduit was there would not be room for connectors to run into the box , it would be more of a protective covering .

electricalist

thanks for your responses , was planning to use #12 uf in a carflex for protection , the heat was my main concern too , did research on the tiles , & the roof is 40 % cooler than your normal roof , but this is texas & it gets really hot , but it would seem that this would still be as hot as a hot attic , the only problem i saw with running the conduit was there would not be room for connectors to run into the box , it would be more of a protective covering .
What about mc? 12/3 when you can. Or would that be too visible?

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
The only concern I would have is when roofers come in after you and one or more of their nails may penetrate your cable. So, I would say 1.25" rule in 300.4 may apply.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
is it permissable to run electrical wiring between the roof & spanish tile roofing material with air gap in between , roof & tile , this has been asked in
order to conceal wiring for gazebo , thanks

300.11 (a-2)
Does that apply to a wood framed gazebo

How is that relevant? Are you saying that we cannot run conduit in ceilings support by structural members?

Normally I would agree but read the red and tell me if it changes your view.

electricalist

Mr. GoldDigger your comments have a way of pointing out the bigger picture when the focus is on details that aren't obvious. This thread could have went on for pages.

Status
Not open for further replies.