anyone seen this kind of clamp ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RustyShackleford

Occupation
electrical engineer
I have never seen this kind of clamp before:

http://www.hardwareandtools.com/halex-90570-3-8-inch-clamp-connector-ulgb-4310.html

You can see a blockage in the circular channel through the thing (it has a hole in the middle and four screwdriver-blade shaped slots around the hole). A piece of Romex will not fit through there. I assume it's some sort of universal clamp, and I'm meant to break out that insert for use with Romex. But I tried removing it by inserting a screwdriver in the slots and prying, and that does not work. Some painstaking work with a pair of pliers removed enough of the blockage for Romex to fit through, but also left some jagged edges to abrade the Romex.

bward

I have never seen this kind of clamp before:

http://www.hardwareandtools.com/halex-90570-3-8-inch-clamp-connector-ulgb-4310.html

You can see a blockage in the circular channel through the thing (it has a hole in the middle and four screwdriver-blade shaped slots around the hole). A piece of Romex will not fit through there. I assume it's some sort of universal clamp, and I'm meant to break out that insert for use with Romex. But I tried removing it by inserting a screwdriver in the slots and prying, and that does not work. Some painstaking work with a pair of pliers removed enough of the blockage for Romex to fit through, but also left some jagged edges to abrade the Romex.

From the page you linked to:
"for use with armored cable/flexible metal conduit"

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
That screen in the front helps to stop the plastic bushing from falling off. Since they are listed you should be able to use them for NM too.

RustyShackleford

Occupation
electrical engineer
That screen in the front helps to stop the plastic bushing from falling off. Since they are listed you should be able to use them for NM too.
Right, but NM will not fit through that hole, and the screen does seem to be readily removable, as I described in OP.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
Right, but NM will not fit through that hole, and the screen does seem to be readily removable, as I described in OP.

and removing the insert will void the UL listing. skin the romex,
stuff it thru till the jacket hits the screen, and tighten the screws.

i don't normally use those for romex. halex makes a similar one
without the screen, that will hold three 14-2 romex in it.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
How do you have the NM sheath make it past the screen as someone else eluded to. So I suppose in that case they are no longer listed for NM.

RustyShackleford

Occupation
electrical engineer
What's to keep you from putting either a 14-2 or 12-2 into one (and not altering it) and using it to enter a panel?
That's what was suggested in post #8, right, butt the cut-off end of the sheath against that screen and just have the individual insulated conductors pass through the screen into the box ?

RustyShackleford

Occupation
electrical engineer
How do you have the NM sheath make it past the screen as someone else eluded to. So I suppose in that case they are no longer listed for NM.
Well, they ARE listed for NM (according to that link from the mfg'er in post #4), so since the entire sheathed cable will not fit through the hole in the screen, that leaves removing the screen, or just having the individual conductors pass through the screen. If it were easy to remove the screen, I'd believe that's the way to go and that it doesn't queer the UL listing (kind of like removing the tab on a duplex outlet to make a split outlet, or a knockout, for that matter); but clearly it isn't meant to be removed (since it is quite hard to do and leaves a jagged edge). So I think you're meant to pass only the conductors through the screen.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Nope, I just mean pushing the Unsheathed conductors through and into the panel. I figure if the sheathing is clamped and pushed up against the inside of the "screen", then it is 1/4" into the panel or JB as code requires (just like the sheathing on MC would be).

You have a point.
Though the actual sheath is not accessible it is in the panel 1/4 inch

480sparky

I don't have any issues with getting the sheath past the 'screen':

14-2:

20150513_161011.jpg

12-2:

20150513_161124.jpg

14-3:

20150513_161210.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.