How close is too close?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonype

SEC running along the bottom of the siding inches above the ground. Shouldn't this be in conduit? Cable just about comes into contact with ground at the far end (near the lattice) before entering home.

Attachments

• DSCF5063.jpg
    DSCF5063.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 0

MasterTheNEC

CEO and President of Electrical Code Academy, Inc.
Occupation
CEO
Obviously the local AHJ did not consider it subject to any physical damage. Maybe because it is all mulch and nothing to cut with a weed eater. Or in their opinion is was installed in a manner that they did not feel it was an issue. Again, the local AHJ will have to make the call and if they approved it......accept it and move on....thats my opinion on it.

Without a defined statement on what defines "Physical Damage" the local AHJ will always make that call and if they are OK with it........then once it gets that "APPROVAL" then it is ok...on to the next job. One mans crap is another mans treasure.

Personally.....if i was installing it I would sleeve it or install a different wiring method but to each his/her own. In my view it is not below ground, it is above ground as it is intended and there is no issue with it's proximity to ground expect to the inspector who may or may not consider it subject to the physical damage I aforementioned earlier.

Ye' who makes the inspection......Makes the call !

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
In NJ that SE cable would be fine. PSE&G usually want 3' of separation from the gas and electrical meter.

DeltaFarce

New User
In NJ that SE cable would be fine. PSE&G usually want 3' of separation from the gas and electrical meter.

PSE&G wouldn't allow that cable.

Check out their diagram on 10-2 of the 2014 revision. This is the text from 10-3: "M. Where exposed cable is used, entry into building shall be 6 in. above grade."

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
PSE&G wouldn't allow that cable.

Check out their diagram on 10-2 of the 2014 revision. This is the text from 10-3: "M. Where exposed cable is used, entry into building shall be 6 in. above grade."

You might be correct but I can't see in that photo that the entrance into the house is less than 6" above grade.

DeltaFarce

New User
You might be correct but I can't see in that photo that the entrance into the house is less than 6" above grade.

"Cable just about comes into contact with ground at the far end (near the lattice) before entering home."

On a bit of a different note, I always figured that PSE&G wrote it that way because (as in the diagram) the entry into the house is the lowest point in the vertical run down from the meter. I figured that they didn't want any part of the un-fused cable being 6" or closer to the ground, not just the entry point. Just an assumption.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
"Cable just about comes into contact with ground at the far end (near the lattice) before entering home."

On a bit of a different note, I always figured that PSE&G wrote it that way because (as in the diagram) the entry into the house is the lowest point in the vertical run down from the meter. I figured that they didn't want any part of the un-fused cable being 6" or closer to the ground, not just the entry point. Just an assumption.

We might be splitting hairs but as noted in your post the 6" PSE&G requirement is for the entry into the dwelling. IMO the local electrical inspector would determine if the cable were subject to physical damage being that close to the ground.

If this service has been inspected and approved by the local inspector then IMO it's a non-issue and doesn't belong in an HI report. Worst case scenario is that some of the dirt would need to be removed to get the 6" clearance if the entry is below 6".

tonype

My thought was just to tell the client to regrade the outside to provide more clearance.

On another note, this installation was 1990 and panel was located below a shower drain pipe (photo below) - was also "approved" by the same person. Were there any prohibitions to this at that time? The top left panel cover screw could not be adequately secured - about 3" of horizontal clearance between the drain pipe and the panel. The drain pipe pre-dated the panel at this location.

Attachments

• DSCF5066_edited-1.jpg
    DSCF5066_edited-1.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 0

DeltaFarce

New User
The NJ Rehab Code allows the installation of the new panel behind the pipe if the old one was there. But I am not sure if the Rehab Code was in effect in 1990, I was only 11 at the time so I didn't keep up with codes :lol:

david

I would guess repairs where done after 1990.

The PVC to cast iron using the purple primer and the adaptor . The trap may not have been that low in 1990.

The different service entrance cable on the bottom of the meter compared to the top of the meter socket and the shinny strap just below the meter socket.

The panel is pretty shinny too, didn?t notice any dust in the panel

Edit:
Didn?t notice any seal on the meter socket though it may be there

Last edited:

DeltaFarce

New User
LOL...Nope......:)

Anytime I think of New Jersey it brings me to extreme laughter...no way I could be mad:lol:
Well, there is some driving force behind your last 3 unnecessary posts. At the beginning I thought you were just trying to be a hall monitor. Now it seems as if your goal is to insult people based on the area they live in.

Status
Not open for further replies.