exposed NM in unfinished basement

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the new building code standards requiring sprinkler systems or fire protection in the basements of residential units, most builders in our area have been installing drywall to the lid of the basement to avoid installing a sprinkler system or the use of fire treated framing members.

My question, is it permitted to install exposed nonmetallic sheathed cable (NM) in the unfinished portion of the basement and fasten directly to the drywall?
I would consider this application similar to installing a running board as specified in Article 334.15 (C) and will closely follow the surface as specified in Article 334.15(A).

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Welcome !

It seems to me the NM would be "following the building surface" and would be acceptable.

iwire

Staff member
I agree with Gus as long as the cables are in a dwelling unit and not a common area.

Outside of a dwelling unit NM must be covered by a 15 minute wall finish.

mwm1752

Please define protection from physical damage for appropriate answer -- the OP stated unfinished basement which relates to 334.15 ( C ) specifically

mwm1752

Nonmetallic-sheathed cable installed on the wall of an unfinished basement shall be permitted to be installed in a listed conduit or tubing or shall be protected in accordance with 300.4.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
If I understand the OP correctly, his NMs are on the ceiling sheetrock.

"Protection against physical damage" unfortunately is one of those judgement areas.

I think most inspectors would view NM on ceiling sheetrock a bit differently than NM on wall although both open up a controversial "subject to physical damage "area.

david

With the new building code standards requiring sprinkler systems or fire protection in the basements of residential units, most builders in our area have been installing drywall to the lid of the basement to avoid installing a sprinkler system or the use of fire treated framing members.

My question, is it permitted to install exposed nonmetallic sheathed cable (NM) in the unfinished portion of the basement and fasten directly to the drywall?
I would consider this application similar to installing a running board as specified in Article 334.15 (C) and will closely follow the surface as specified in Article 334.15(A).

Generally speaking drywall is not hung until the rough wire passes inspection , Why did this become an issue?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Please define protection from physical damage for appropriate answer -- the OP stated unfinished basement which relates to 334.15 ( C ) specifically

That refers to underside of joists not mounted to drywall. If mounted to the dry wall then protection from physical damage is open to interpretation because it's not defined by the NEC.

rcarroll

Generally speaking drywall is not hung until the rough wire passes inspection , Why did this become an issue?
The 2012 Residential Building Code requires I-Joists be fire protected. The choices I've seen are: Sprinkler system, Sheetrock, & Fire treated I-Joists.
Remember, minimum code doesn't require pre-wiring for anticipated finish.

mwm1752

If I understand the OP correctly, his NMs are on the ceiling sheetrock.

"Protection against physical damage" unfortunately is one of those judgement areas.

I think most inspectors would view NM on ceiling sheetrock a bit differently than NM on wall although both open up a controversial "subject to physical damage "area.

That refers to underside of joists not mounted to drywall. If mounted to the dry wall then protection from physical damage is open to interpretation because it's not defined by the NEC.

I would agree with the ceiling scenario as --Unfinished basements ? for purposes of this section, unfinished basements are defined as portions or areas of the basement not intended as habitable rooms and limited to storage areas, work areas, and the like

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Move at least 1.25" over from the framing member if you are running parallel with the joists.

Ok I'll buy that. What if they are running across the joists?

I say that the joist is still a nailing surface. Covering it with drywall does not change that.

Back to 334

It does not say 'if' subject to... It says "shall be protected".

(B) Protection from Physical Damage. Cable shall be protected
from physical damage where necessary by rigid metal conduit,
int ermediate metal conduit, electrical metallic tubing, Schedule
80 PVC conduit, Type RTRC marked with the suffix -XW, or other
approved means.

300.11 Securing and Supporting
(A) Secured in Place. Raceways, cable assemblies, boxes,
cabinets, and fittings shall be securely fastened in place. Support
wires that do not provide secure support shall not be permitted
as the sole support.

Is there a listed product to secure NM to drywall?

iwire

Staff member
Ok I'll buy that. What if they are running across the joists?

If they are that means 300.4(D) does not apply.

I say that the joist is still a nailing surface. Covering it with drywall does not change that.

Yeah it's a nailing surface, what NEC section are you citing?

Back to 334

It does not say 'if' subject to... It says "shall be protected".

(B) Protection from Physical Damage. Cable shall be protected
from physical damage where necessary by rigid metal conduit,
int ermediate metal conduit, electrical metallic tubing, Schedule
80 PVC conduit, Type RTRC marked with the suffix -XW, or other
approved means.

You are right, it does say shall.

It also says where necessary, I am having a hard time understanding what you think might happen to NM run on a drywall ceiling that won't happen to NM ran on a ceiling mounted running board.

300.11 Securing and Supporting
(A) Secured in Place. Raceways, cable assemblies, boxes,
cabinets, and fittings shall be securely fastened in place. Support
wires that do not provide secure support shall not be permitted
as the sole support.

Is there a listed product to secure NM to drywall?

Where can I find the NEC requirement to use a listed product to secure NM to anything?

Cavie

1. The world would love to know the definition of "subject to physical damage".

2. On the surface would certinly look like a hack job. Rough it in the joists and sleave down the wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.