Exposed RGS Routed at Grade

Status
Not open for further replies.

msimms

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I have an installation occurring on a job site. The contractor has routed RGS exposed alongside a concrete pad that feeds skid mounted equipment. While I have seen exposed conduit at grade in the past, in this case this is an easily accessible location, and adding another piece of pipe would likely extend it a few feet away from the pad. Attached is where the current installation is now. I would say that 300.4 is a proper reference, but nothing in the section seems to address this specific installation. Any thoughts?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Generally 300.4 would suggest that RGS is an appropriate means of protection, so I think you are correct in referring to it.

I do not see a problem, unless the location of the conduit has created a safety hazard or a violation of working spaces that might be required.

msimms

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
No general working space concerns; just general trip concerns. Thanks for the confirmation.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
No general working space concerns; just general trip concerns. Thanks for the confirmation.

just because it is not a NEC violation does not mean it is not a safety hazard. the owner may wish to do something to reduce the trip hazard if there is one. however, IMO, having piping or conduit at grade is not generally a trip hazard as long as it is not in a walkway. there is always going to be equipment at grade and if people try to walk over it instead of using designated walkways they may put themselves at risk, but that is because they are making a deliberate choice to walk in an area they should not be in.

Status
Not open for further replies.