Is there a time limit for "temporary" service?

Status
Not open for further replies.

F357

Long story short - I have a 15,000 square foot warehouse that mostly does not have power. In one corner I have 200A single phase 120/240 service. I need to distribute power throughout the building for outlets and lighting. I consider this simple wiring and I know how to do it all, however, I cannot get permits to legally do this myself because I am not an electrician and I do not own the building. (I lease it) The owner of the building doesn't care what I do, if I get permits or not, or if it's even safe, but I don't want to do anything against the rules here.

The cost to hire an electrician to install subpanels and outlets with permits throughout the building would be astronomical. I don't want to spend that much on a building I do not own and will not be using forever. Anything permanently installed stays with the building when I leave.

So, I think my solution would be to use a variety of 50A "spider boxes" and some long 50A cords with twistlock california style connectors. This would give me several 50A subpanels throughout the building with smaller 120 and 240 outlets I can use. I would only need to hire an electrician to install four or more 50A outlets right next to my main panel. The rest of the system would be "temporary" or "portable".

Is there a time limit on how long I am able to use a "temporary" power distribution setup like you might use on any other large job site? Am I correct that I no longer need a permit to do the wiring on anything that is simply plugged in, and not a permanently installed part of the building's electrical system?

iwire

Staff member
90 days or the period of construction.

590.3 Time Constraints.
(A) During the Period of Construction.
Temporary electric power and lighting installations shall be permitted during
the period of construction, remodeling, maintenance,
repair, or demolition of buildings, structures, equipment, or
similar activities.

(B) 90 Days. Temporary electric power and lighting installations
shall be permitted for a period not to exceed 90 days
for holiday decorative lighting and similar purposes.

kwired

Electron manager
So say I bought a power box like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CEP-6508G-P...AC-4-L5-20R-/381023549841?hash=item58b6c5f991

And I used it to power a bunch of something like this:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lithonia...y-Fluorescent-Shop-Light-1284GRD-RE/202968125

I'm only allowed to use that stuff for 90 days or "during construction"?

(Examples only)

Thanks for the information.
Yes, but read the 90 day requirement more carefully - doesn't really apply to construction as much as to special events, holiday lighting, or other similar things.

Also "temp power" section of NEC mostly covers things that are outside the general requirements. If you install something with temporary being the intention but it still meets general requirements of the NEC, it is permanent wiring as far as how NEC applies to it and can remain in use indefinitely.

Of course the cord sets, spider boxes you referred to are not permanent wiring methods, but are allowed throughout the duration of construction.

F357

If you install something with temporary being the intention but it still meets general requirements of the NEC, it is permanent wiring as far as how NEC applies to it and can remain in use indefinitely.
And then no permits/inspections are necessary, as long as it's plugged into a properly installed/permitted outlet...is that right?

kwired

Electron manager
And then no permits/inspections are necessary, as long as it's plugged into a properly installed/permitted outlet...is that right?
Really up to the local AHJ, but most places would only require a permit for the so called "premises wiring outlet", and if there is one existing then it should have already been permitted at some time in the past. But the flexible cords are not permitted to be used as a substitute for the fixed wiring of the structure as a general rule (some sort of limited exceptions) so make sure they are being used as temporary wiring.

growler

Long story short - I have a 15,000 square foot warehouse that mostly does not have power. In one corner I have 200A single phase 120/240 service. I need to distribute power throughout the building for outlets and lighting. I consider this simple wiring and I know how to do it all, however, I cannot get permits to legally do this myself because I am not an electrician and I do not own the building. (I lease it) The owner of the building doesn't care what I do, if I get permits or not, or if it's even safe, but I don't want to do anything against the rules here.The cost to hire an electrician to install subpanels and outlets with permits throughout the building would be astronomical. I don't want to spend that much on a building I do not own and will not be using forever. Anything permanently installed stays with the building when I leave.So, I think my solution would be to use a variety of 50A "spider boxes" and some long 50A cords with twistlock california style connectors. This would give me several 50A subpanels throughout the building with smaller 120 and 240 outlets I can use. I would only need to hire an electrician to install four or more 50A outlets right next to my main panel. The rest of the system would be "temporary" or "portable".Is there a time limit on how long I am able to use a "temporary" power distribution setup like you might use on any other large job site? Am I correct that I no longer need a permit to do the wiring on anything that is simply plugged in, and not a permanently installed part of the building's electrical system?
After reading your post several times it doesn't sound like you actually plan to do a contruction project but instead you plan to try to use temp power instead of permanent power. To use temp power on a construction site you actually need a permit for the consturction that you plan to do. They don't issue permits and then froget about them in many areas you need to show progress within a certain amount of time or the permit gets canceled. The only way you will know if you are legal is to talk to the local authorities. I won't say they will not let you get away with this because some areas are more strict than others.

kwired

Electron manager
After reading your post several times it doesn't sound like you actually plan to do a contruction project but instead you plan to try to use temp power instead of permanent power. To use temp power on a construction site you actually need a permit for the consturction that you plan to do. They don't issue permits and then froget about them in many areas you need to show progress within a certain amount of time or the permit gets canceled. The only way you will know if you are legal is to talk to the local authorities. I won't say they will not let you get away with this because some areas are more strict than others.
I didn't read the post carefully enough the first time - and I agree with you. Appears the intent is to use this temporary wiring as a substitute for permanent wiring in the building. Somehow I originally had it in my mind that he was going to be doing some construction. This IMO turns this project into more of a DIY project and the topic doesn't comply with forum rules.

growler

Consider this. What are the consequences if you do the work without a electrician don't get a permit and then get caught.

That could happen and it's wouldn't be good but I would worry more about an accident or someone getting injured.

If you have a 15K sq ft warehouse I think there would either be employees or customers in the area.

user 100

Long story short - I have a 15,000 square foot warehouse that mostly does not have power. In one corner I have 200A single phase 120/240 service. I need to distribute power throughout the building for outlets and lighting. I consider this simple wiring and I know how to do it all, however, I cannot get permits to legally do this myself because I am not an electrician and I do not own the building. (I lease it) The owner of the building doesn't care what I do, if I get permits or not, or if it's even safe, but I don't want to do anything against the rules here.

The cost to hire an electrician to install subpanels and outlets with permits throughout the building would be astronomical. I don't want to spend that much on a building I do not own and will not be using forever. Anything permanently installed stays with the building when I leave.

So, I think my solution would be to use a variety of 50A "spider boxes" and some long 50A cords with twistlock california style connectors. This would give me several 50A subpanels throughout the building with smaller 120 and 240 outlets I can use. I would only need to hire an electrician to install four or more 50A outlets right next to my main panel. The rest of the system would be "temporary" or "portable".

Is there a time limit on how long I am able to use a "temporary" power distribution setup like you might use on any other large job site? Am I correct that I no longer need a permit to do the wiring on anything that is simply plugged in, and not a permanently installed part of the building's electrical system?

While this may be easier said than done, if this building doesn't meet your needs electrically, you could always find another place to set up shop.
The fact that you are inquiring about this indicates a good degree of doubt on your part and its really best in situations like these to err on the side of caution.

The work you may need done can be very expensive but this isn't necessarily always the case-did you at least bother to get any bids from reputable ecs?

If you ultimately can't afford to have the work done and you must stay perhaps you could work out a deal w/ the owner to cover the cost of getting the building properly wired by a licensed ec.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
If you ultimately can't afford to have the work done and you must stay perhaps you could work out a deal w/ the owner to cover the cost of getting the building properly wired by a licensed ec.

That sounds like a great idea.

kwired

Electron manager
Consider this. What are the consequences if you do the work without a electrician don't get a permit and then get caught.
Often times for the non professionals - just a slap on the wrist type of fine, and if what was done wasn't code compliant they may either need to remove it or make it meet code (with or without a licensed professional is still optional in some cases).

For the professionals to not file proper permits it can effect their license that allows them to do what they do.

If the installation gets someone injured or killed, or results in property damage - the following lawsuits will get both the licensed as well as the unlicensed, and the slap on the wrist fine still may be there as well.

mgookin

Reading your post and your profile, it appears your company recently moved in to (or are intending to move into) a warehouse where you intend to do manufacturing operations.

Wiring that building is part of the cost of doing business. Wiring that building with licensed contractors and in compliance with the NEC is a legal requirement. Your insurance company will drop you like a rock if you go violating every rule & regulation there is, not to mention lawsuits from workers injured by your cheating.

Get some plans drawn up, get some bids, and pay up. It's the cost of doing business. I know that's not the answer you wanted.

robert pitre

How long can you have temp power?

How long can you have temp power?

In my parish ,a permit is a must and it only good for 180 days. Every 180 days you have to renew your permit. A inspection is require before power can be turn on;)

kwired

Electron manager
In my parish ,a permit is a must and it only good for 180 days. Every 180 days you have to renew your permit. A inspection is require before power can be turn on;)
I can't speak for your area and how they enforce code or what local rules they have but unless you actually take advantage of any rules in art 590 one could set a service and some receptacles on a post/pole and as long as it meets requirements of chapters 1-4 it isn't necessarily temporary according to NEC anyway. Using flexible cord to supply something that is not temporary is a violation if it doesn't meet any exceptions in art 400.

Status
Not open for further replies.