Troubleshooting tips for overloaded circuits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eddy Current

Besides using a meter to check amperage, tripped breakers, and warm wires or conduit, what are some tips for detecting overloaded circuits? Say for instance you are troubleshooting lighting whips that come with reloc connectors on them, would burnt pins inside be due to an overloaded circuit?

DrSparks

The Everlasting Know-it-all!
Occupation
Master Electrician and General Contractor
Besides using a meter to check amperage, tripped breakers, and warm wires or conduit, what are some tips for detecting overloaded circuits? Say for instance you are troubleshooting lighting whips that come with reloc connectors on them, would burnt pins inside be due to an overloaded circuit?

Check voltage. May be a voltage drop issue which would cause overloading if the ballasts are constant-voltage type.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

what do you mean by an "overloaded" circuit?

The most obvious thing that comes to mind to me is to check how much current is actually flowing in the circuit first to see if it really is overloaded. If the current level is below what the circuit is rated for it is not overloaded.

Wires and conduits are often warm to the touch, in fact they can get uncomfortably warm to the touch, but that does not necessarily indicate an overload. It may be quite normal.

to my mind, burnt pins are not an overload so much as a bad connection.

kwired

Electron manager
If the entire branch circuit is overloaded - you should be tripping breaker. My guess is you are wondering why the pin(s) in your connector are burned more so then overloading of the entire branch circuit.

First question is how much current is the connector rated to handle - and then how much load is connected via that device?

Next is whether or not it was/has been securely connected? If it is loose - arcing will deteriorate it.

If it is unplugged/plugged in frequently for some reason it can wear it out and make it fit loose, or if done under load arcing can deteriorate it.

Eddy Current

Ok thanks, this was all second hand and over the phone. A guy was asking my opinion and I wasn't sure what to tell him other than what I mentioned in my first post.

Status
Not open for further replies.