grounding / choke

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayertz

see attached picture.

I have a 2/0 ground conductor grounding an electro deposition tank in six locations. We have a # 6 tapping off the 2/0 going back to the RGC bond bushing (choke). The Safety department is saying the application is not right. They are saying the 2/0 should go thru the bond bushing.
I am thinking since the 2/0 cable is insulated the # 6 is not even required.

Please advise, thank you...

Attachments

• IMG_2715.jpg
    IMG_2715.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 2

jumper

I am pretty sure that the bonding jumper should be full sized or run the GEC through that bushing.

That #6 is undersized.

I do not believe that the fact that the GEC is insulated mitigates the size of the jumper.

kwired

Electron manager
Jumper's reply is correct.

Also the fact the conductor has insulation has nothing to do with why we must bond this.

What you have with a single conductor in a ferrous enclosure is essentially a one turn core and coil, the impedance of that conductor will rise when there is current in the conductor. If anything the fact the GEC is insulated the need for the bond is even greater then if it were a bare conductor - but only slightly greater as a bare conductor still needs a solid bond instead of a loose bond.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
see attached picture.

I have a 2/0 ground conductor grounding an electro deposition tank in six locations. We have a # 6 tapping off the 2/0 going back to the RGC bond bushing (choke). The Safety department is saying the application is not right. They are saying the 2/0 should go thru the bond bushing.
I am thinking since the 2/0 cable is insulated the # 6 is not even required.

Please advise, thank you...

What you seem to be describing is an "Auxiliary Grounding Electrode" (before 2008 it was called "Supplemental Grounding Electrode" as shown it the illustration) and there is really no rules for them like there is for the GES and GEC, they are permitted but not required as far as the NEC is concerned so it could be left as is with no problem.

1004224701_2.gif

Roger

jumper

What you seem to be describing is an "Auxiliary Grounding Electrode" (before 2008 it was called "Supplemental Grounding Electrode" as shown it the illustration) and there is really no rules for them like there is for the GES and GEC, they are permitted but not required as far as the NEC is concerned so it could be left as is with no problem.

Roger

Assuming that it is an Auxiliary Grounding Electrode installed according to 250.54, I do not see where that section relieves you from 250.64(E)(1) requirements. Am I missing something?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Assuming that it is an Auxiliary Grounding Electrode installed according to 250.54, I do not see where that section relieves you from 250.64(E)(1) requirements. Am I missing something?

Derek, I can kind of see it that way too but, in the case of these tanks do they fit any of the descriptions included in 250.64. I know they are structures but are there any feeders or branch circuits connected to them?

250.64 Grounding Electrode Conductor Installation.
Grounding electrode conductors at the service, at each
building or structure where supplied by a feeder(s) or
branch circuit(s), or at a separately derived system shall be
installed as specified in 250.64(A) through (F).

Roger

jumper

Derek, I can kind of see it that way too but, in the case of these tanks do they fit any of the descriptions included in 250.64. I know they are structures but are there any feeders or branch circuits connected to them?

Roger

OP said "electro deposition tank " so I was guessing there is a circuit or feeder.:?

jap

Occupation
Electrician
I am pretty sure that the bonding jumper should be full sized or run the GEC through that bushing.

That #6 is undersized.

I do not believe that the fact that the GEC is insulated mitigates the size of the jumper.

That would be ideal, but, seeing as how the factory lug that comes with the bonding bushing is never near large enough for the full size conductor that is pulled through it, it would tend to make one wonder if the bonding jumper actually had to be that large at all.

Unless you change the lug out on the bonding jumper to accommodate the full size conductor and somehow create a pig tail out of the larger conductor to be able to turn it into it.

JAP>

ADub

Occupation
Estimator/Project Manager
You could change your rigid to aluminum rigid and forget bonding it all together

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
x_hw175-17-4_72dpi.jpg

You can use a conduit fitting like this. No jumper required. The fitting provides the required full size bonding between the grounding conductor and the conduit.

ADub

Occupation
x_hw175-17-4_72dpi.jpg

You can use a conduit fitting like this. No jumper required. The fitting provides the required full size bonding between the grounding conductor and the conduit.

Good lord I love it! Got a model number?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kwired

Electron manager
Why would that be true? Aluminum is metallic, conducts electricity even better than ferrous conduit or tubing and acts like a choke just like ferrous conduit or tubing.

I agree it is a better conductor then ferrous materials would be. I (think) it has significantly less magnetic properties then ferrous materials though and would not have anywhere the same choke effect. It likely still needs bonded in at least one location though.

ADub

Occupation
Why would that be true? Aluminum is metallic, conducts electricity even better than ferrous conduit or tubing and acts like a choke just like ferrous conduit or tubing.

Try 250.64(e)(1). Aluminum is non ferrous and not required to be bonded at both ends as per the article.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Before applying Lenz's Law to this situation you need to consider the geometry involved.
For a straight wire, Lenz predicts two things:
1. Circulating currents caused by the changing magnetic field which in turn create an electric field that opposed the original current. This is the mechanism behind the skin effect. This is a second order effect.
2. The magnetic field around the wire forming a fractional turn air core inductor which opposes any changes in current. This is a first order effect which is small for an air core of the size involved.
Add an aluminum raceway and you have an aluminum core inductor. Not much change.
Add a ferrous raceway and you have an iron core inductor. Big effect!.
Conclusion: their is an increase in impedance with aluminum, but nowhere near what you get with steel (except for non-magnetic alloys)

Status
Not open for further replies.