Elevator / Handicap Lift Code for jacketed cable in conduit

Status
Not open for further replies.

WAstarita

Im installing a handicap lift in NYC, completely outside. Typically the traveling cable and the power wire is internal to the lifting tower, with only a small conduit out to the disconnect box. This one is in a flood zone so the manufacturer took the controller and pump and put it in a remote box that can be located above the flood line.

I had the onsite electrician come by and tell us that we could not have the wires in the jacketing inside the conduit. We were using armored sealtight. He wanted the jacketing removed from the 3 wire power hookup and the 12 conductor traveling cable because code says it can't be run in the conduit. He had no idea what code it was, just that he knew it was right...

I looked but maybe my terminology isn't finding the reference. I understand if it was inside that they wouldn't want it in walls when its not plenum rated. Any ideas before I spend 2 days redoing all my work?

Thanks

jumper

I am not familiar with elevator installs, but there no specific rule that I know of that says jacketed/sheathed cables cannot be run in conduit as long as they are rated for the area/condition, ie: wet or such.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
The wire in the cable may not be THWN type and there for could not be used outdoors, even if it's in a conduit. Remember that the inside of an exterior conduit is considered a wet location. Now if he is simply referring to the cable in the conduit, then there is no violation as long as you meet the fill requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.