Pool Motor Load Center Location

Status
Not open for further replies.

peg

We have a large pool at the HOA with two 10HP motors. The phase converters and controllers are next to the pump tank, With additional breakers inside. The panels are in sight of the tank, but the Load center, breakers, and phase converter panels do not face the tank. It's the back side that faces the motors. How does this relate to the "In site of".

The other thing I wonder about is how the free standing Load Center panel which is about 18" off the ground meet code. It's a pain in the knees, (cover lifts up).

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
"In sight from" per Art 100 definition is literally "visible from" and not more than 50 ft away.
The controller must have a disconnecting means "in sight from". The motor likewise needs a disconnect "inn sight from" with some exceptions which I don't feel will fit your situation.

The panels location in relation to the floor/earth is not restricted (with some exceptions) but the height is.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
"In sight from" per Art 100 definition is literally "visible from" and not more than 50 ft away.
The controller must have a disconnecting means "in sight from". The motor likewise needs a disconnect "inn sight from" with some exceptions which I don't feel will fit your situation.

The panels location in relation to the floor/earth is not restricted (with some exceptions) but the height is.
That's right. And what that relates to is that if YOU are working on the MOTOR, you have to be able to look up and SEE the locking device that is keeping you safe. If you would have to stand up and walk around to the other side of the panel, that doesn't work (unless it is an industrial facility with an established safe work policy, etc. etc. etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.