Branch Circuits from Multi-Family

Status
Not open for further replies.

euclid43

Hey,

Can someone tell me if it's ok per NEC code to run two different branch circuits from different panels in the same conduit to a shared detached garage. I am just not sure, thanks.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Hey,

Can someone tell me if it's ok per NEC code to run two different branch circuits from different panels in the same conduit to a shared detached garage. I am just not sure, thanks.

IMO, no . Since the garage is attached then article 225.30 would limit you to one branch circuit or one multiwire branch circuit with a few exceptions

225.30 Number of Supplies. A building or other structure
that is served by a branch circuit or feeder on the load side
of a service disconnecting means shall be supplied by only
one feeder or branch circuit unless permitted in 225.30(A)
through (E). For the purpose of this section, a multiwire
branch circuit shall be considered a single circuit.
Where a branch circuit or feeder originates in these additional
buildings or other structures, only one feeder or
branch circuit shall be permitted to supply power back to
the original building or structure, unless permitted in
225.30(A) through (E).

jumper

euclid43

How do I feed the two car garage with branch circuit coming from muti-family units (detached)? I thought I could use one conduit with each branch and separate when I get to the garage....

mike1061

Well, that stinks.
Around here you mostly 6 flats. Many have several garages, if not 6.
Each garage is supposed to be feed from the unit owners panel and not the public, correct? So what I've always done is run one or two conduits to the garage.
I have seen, and replaced with the same thing, one circuit too all the garages from the public panel. I always thought I was doing it wrong that way.
Thanks
Mike

euclid43

This detached garage is shared by three units; each unit has a separating wall from the other. I guess my question is more of whether I can bring the branch ckts to one end of the detached garage and feed the respective others from romex, or do I have to run conduit from the end to each part? I know this setup is not entirely unique, so the answer would be useful, thanks.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
IMO if there is a firewall between the garage units then you can run 3 branch circuits - one from each unit.

Sorry for the faux pas Jumper

jumper

I know that is true for service conductors but what article states a branch circuit cannot run thru another unit?

I cannot say this applies to OPs garage though:

210.25 Branch Circuits in Buildings with More Than
One Occupancy.
(A) Dwelling Unit Branch Circuits. Branch circuits in
each dwelling unit shall supply only loads within that dwelling
unit or loads associated only with that dwelling unit.

david

I don't see how running through the second unit is "supplying loads".

Exactly.. No loads are being supplied just running the branch circuit thru the unit

does it actually say it has to be supplying a load to be considered in a dwelling unit.
when is a branch circuit considered in a dwelling unit?
it does say that a load associated with a dwelling must be supplied by a branch circuit for that dwelling

it also seems to state that a branch circuit in a dwelling unit must be associated with a load for that dwelling unit that would tend to state an exclusion of all other dwelling unit branch circuits/

so when does a branch circuit pass through verses be in a dwelling unit? I guess if you pass through something you must first enter it wouldn't you?

as a general rule the branch circuit disconnects must be under the control of a dwelling unit tenant. shouldn't the tenant have the assurance that when he opens the branch circuits disconnects he has de-energized the circuits in the dwelling?

I guess it may need clarified as to what is met by being in a dwelling

david

i am in particular picturing a dwelling unit basement with branch circuit conductors from one dwelling passing through a basement of another dwelling

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
i am in particular picturing a dwelling unit basement with branch circuit conductors from one dwelling passing through a basement of another dwelling

That would be compliant with the section Jumper posted in post #15.

Status
Not open for further replies.