Wire staple sizes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Hass

New to the forum, so first a formal hello from NY. So, I am replacing a few shared neutral runs with the newer 14/2/2 and 12/2/2 and came up with a question. What size staples should I be using for these wires, and should they be a rounded staple design?

Thanks in advance!

peter d

Not sure what part of NY you're in, but here in New England we use the Briscon SN-40 blue insulated staples for practically everything.

Not sure what part of NY you're in, but here in New England we use the Briscon SN-40 blue insulated staples for practically everything.

Same here, however the parts of Mass I have worked in seem to be super picky about used the super long red stapes for double stacked ramen, and will violate for you not using them. Other than that, I dont think I have ever been called on a staple 110.3(B) violation.

peter d

Same here, however the parts of Mass I have worked in seem to be super picky about used the super long red stapes for double stacked ramen, and will violate for you not using them. Other than that, I dont think I have ever been called on a staple 110.3(B) violation.

Most inspectors in RI allow the blues for everything. I've certainly never had an issue with it.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician

I spent the better part of a decade using the blue staples for one or two cables. 2 14-2's, a 14-2 and a 14-3, 2 12-2's, etc. Maybe I wouldn't double up on a 12-3 but I hardly ever used 12-3.

Then one day the inspector in Lexington retired and the new guy insisted that the manufacturer's instructions stated those staples were only good for one cable. It's ridiculous, first of all...the point of romex staples in residential construction is to keep the cables from getting pinched between the lumbar and the drywall and getting poked by the screws when the drywall is installed.

But I conceded and started buying the red staples for those situations where I needed to staple a number of wires and keep them 3/4" away from the edge of the stud. I even started using stackers which I hate how they look, but I guess I like how easy they make things.

I used to take pride in my stapling job. Now I just get it legal and cry myself to sleep.

jaylectricity

Occupation
I like stackers but find the key to keeping it looking tidy is to use lots, like spaced a hammers length apart. Ive never been tagged for overloading a stacker!

I keep it to two cables per slot, but if I need more I'll tie-wrap two more cables to the edge of each slot.

peter d

I spent the better part of a decade using the blue staples for one or two cables. 2 14-2's, a 14-2 and a 14-3, 2 12-2's, etc. Maybe I wouldn't double up on a 12-3 but I hardly ever used 12-3.

Then one day the inspector in Lexington retired and the new guy insisted that the manufacturer's instructions stated those staples were only good for one cable. It's ridiculous, first of all...the point of romex staples in residential construction is to keep the cables from getting pinched between the lumbar and the drywall and getting poked by the screws when the drywall is installed.

Every once in a while I hear a story about an inspector enforcing the manufacturers instructions. Until such time that I meet one, I'm going to keep doubling up. :thumbsup:

jaylectricity

Occupation
I hate the 3M stackers. The Arlington ones actually grip the cable and keep it straight, so those are the only ones I like.

I'm not sure of the brand names. The ones that are usually at the supply house just have a slots with a growth at the end to keep the wires in there, but once I got some where there was an actual "lid" that clipped over the open ends. I believe they were red instead of the translucent white.

Jack Hass

The red's are gardner bender. I inquired with them and was told they are not 14/2/2 rated, but yet they can hold 8 14/2's :?

James L

Occupation
Electrician
I've put 8-3/g in Stak-its. All you have to do is clip out one of the dividers with your dikes. Still have 2 more slots to put in 14-2, 12-2, etc

user 100

But I conceded and started buying the red staples for those situations where I needed to staple a number of wires and keep them 3/4" away from the edge of the stud. I even started using stackers which I hate how they look, but I guess I like how easy they make things.

We use quite a few of the ideal stackers. Your inspectors argument is heard often and one reason I've heard given is that the staple isn't long enough to go deep enough into the wood and secure two cables w/o damaging them- as if it needs to be bolted down or something- like you said, the purpose of securing nm is to get it up and out of the way during construction-nothing more, nothing less. The issue of the blues and double stacking is almost as nonsensical as the fretting over the "dangers" of using the old bare thiels- really no issue unless an idiot is on the other end of the hammer.

Last edited:

klineelectric

Occupation
electrical contractor
Theils are great. Do your inspectors make you use insulated staples or is that your choice? I have never tried them, been wiring houses for 30 years. I see the pros but have not had a problem with the cons. Do they cost a lot more? Maybe I will try them.

jaylectricity

Occupation
Theils are great. Do your inspectors make you use insulated staples or is that your choice? I have never tried them, been wiring houses for 30 years. I see the pros but have not had a problem with the cons. Do they cost a lot more? Maybe I will try them.

Required in Massachusetts.

user 100

No prohibition for uninsulated staples and the adoration for the insulated counterpart seems to be exclusive to ahj rule writers/preference- you don't see many electricians that share their enthusiasm. The use of stackers (as stated above) do, imo also, make things a less labor intensive/quicker when grouping multiple nms along framing. Usually​, if the issue arises about double decking under a staple, a simple perusal of the instructions should be enough to quell any objections- if your within listing, your good.

And yes, the insulated staples do cost more-around 2 to 3 x as much as the regulars.

Status
Not open for further replies.