Portable generator manual transfer switch hookup - requires breaker to protect feed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joemly

Hi,
I installed one of those Reliance 10-circuit manual transfer switch portable generator hookups. It comes with a 30 amp twist lock inlet box that the generator plugs into. I fed the inlet box with 10/3 Romex.

After I installed it, I wondered if I should have installed a 30 amp 2-pole breaker to protect that 10/3 feed, because there is nothing to protect it on the manual transfer switch side. Maybe the generator has a fuse that protects it?

Is it necessary to install such a breaker to protect that feed?

Many thanks for your input.
Joanna

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
Hi,
I installed one of those Reliance 10-circuit manual transfer switch portable generator hookups. It comes with a 30 amp twist lock inlet box that the generator plugs into. I fed the inlet box with 10/3 Romex.

After I installed it, I wondered if I should have installed a 30 amp 2-pole breaker to protect that 10/3 feed, because there is nothing to protect it on the manual transfer switch side. Maybe the generator has a fuse that protects it?

Joanna

Generator should have built in protection. If it has a manual take a look at it.
Mine has a reset button on the front of it.

templdl

Hi,

Joanna

If your wire s sized to handle the load that the generator cas generate it would be interesting to know how a breaker would protect the wire. The breaker really ends up to be a disconnect since the genset Dr oes not have the capability of generating enough current to overload the wire and it would not even have the capability of producing enough short circuit current to trp the breaker instantaneously.

Status
Not open for further replies.