Half bath exhaust fan required?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I am not familiar with exact wording but that would be in the building code. If there is no existing ventilation such as a window then yes.
Why would you not want one in there?

luckylerado

The building code points to the Mechanical code.

Mechanical code Table 403.3 seems to say that for residential toilet rooms a min of 20CFM/50ft² of ventilation is required.

John120/240

Are exhaust fans required by NEC in half baths?

As stated bath fans are not a NEC concern. Around here if the bath room has a operable window no fan is required. But I have always installed one. Your choice as to which fan to install. IMO builder grade fans are just typically noise makers. The CFM that cheap fans move is minusicle.

I always suggest a quiet fan with higher CFM's .

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
R303.3.1
In California residential code, a bathroom containing a bathtub, shower or tub/shower combination must have a mechanical ventilation.

Check with your local AHJ.

growler

Actually it is the moisture not the stink that the code is concerned about.

Used to be but now even if you have that toilet compartment in a restroom than that toilet compartment needs its own fan in addition to the one in the restroom.

The reason for requireing an exhaust fan in the first place was that it would remove moisture and prevent mold.

It may be a good design to have an exhaust fan in a toilet compartment but I can't see any safety reasons.

I could (but I won't) name a couple of countries that prove that bad smells will not kill you.

Status
Not open for further replies.