Hot water heater

Status
Not open for further replies.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Doubtful,

Most should know what configuration of a contact block is needed on the back of a 3 position HOA selector switch also, but I doubt most know that a combination contact goes to the center neutral position when you mount it to the back of the operator.

JAP>
I would bet there are more electric water heaters in the US than there are HOA switches.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
You have lost me.

Resi WHs are pretty basic. Plumbers, electricians and many DIYers work on them all the time.

I'm just pointing out that its not obvious that both heating elements are not energized at the same time, and, if it doesnt indicate that somehow on the label, it wouldnt be far fetched for someone to size a circuit to it for the total load of both elements.

Unlike some who size the circuit for the simple fact they were told both elements dont come on at the same time but seem to have no proof of that without digging into the circuitry.

JAP>

jap

Occupation
Electrician
The name plate will probably state total connected watts. I did a quick search on Google and it showed it. 2 elements, upper and lower, 4500W each at 240V, but a total connected load of 4500W.

The latter part of this would be the information needed to size the circuit.

JAP>

iceworm

Curmudgeon still using printed IEEE Color Books
Occupation
EE (Field - as little design as possible)
Even plumbers know the elements on a water heater are interlocked.
limited to to residential only - commercial can be way different.

Yep - even this DIY knows that. Top element comes on first to heat the top few gallons so there is hot water (not a lot, but some). Bottom element t-stat is interlocked through the top thermostat.

ice

jap

Occupation
Electrician
limited to to residential only - commercial can be way different.

Yep - even this DIY knows that. Top element comes on first to heat the top few gallons so there is hot water (not a lot, but some). Bottom element t-stat is interlocked through the top thermostat.

ice

Sounds like a political debate...... all this speculation of who knows what, without an ounce of proof. :)

JAP>

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
I'm just pointing out that its not obvious that both heating elements are not energized at the same time, and, if it doesnt indicate that somehow on the label, it wouldnt be far fetched for someone to size a circuit to it for the total load of both elements.

Unlike some who size the circuit for the simple fact they were told both elements dont come on at the same time but seem to have no proof of that without digging into the circuitry.

JAP>

Most if not all common residential water heaters in the US use interlocked elements. IMHO the common _assumption_ of anyone who installs these on a regular basis will be that the heater uses interlocked elements.

It is of course true that this fact _should_ be indicated on the label, and that the circuit must be sized based on the ratings on the label. If someone doesn't check the label they may be in for a rude surprise.

However if someone runs a 30A circuit on #10 conductors for a residential storage water heater, then the installation is very likely correct.

-Jon

jap

Occupation
Electrician
I'd bet you could poll every electriician on this website and half of them wouldnt know that the upper and lower thermostats of an electric water heater are interlocked.
Regardless, that's not the infomation that's needed to size the circuit to it.

Jap>

iceworm

Occupation
Sounds like a political debate...... all this speculation of who knows what, without an ounce of proof. :)

JAP>

With great respect and very gently: Perhaps I could suggest you actually look at one.

ice

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Jumper nailed it on an earlier post when he found the unit that indicated the "Total Connected Load".

Other than that, the rest is all just good information that you dont really need to know.

Jap>

iceworm

Occupation
I'd bet you could poll every electriician on this website and half of them wouldnt know that the upper and lower thermostats of an electric water heater are interlocked.
Regardless, that's not the infomation that's needed to size the circuit to it.

Jap>
Don't know about every electrician. How about just polling the residential ones - the ones that regularly connect water heaters? I highly suspect the percentage would be way better than half - that's their business.

ice

iceworm

Occupation
... Other than that, the rest is all just good information that you dont really need to know.

And sometimes it does come in handy to know. Last one I did was a half sized tank fed from a boiler domestic water coil. Didn't use the heater elements. Used the tank heater thermostats to run a circ pump in a return line to keep the tank hot. Was pretty common in areas where boilers and domestic coils are common.

Although not so common any more. Newer mixing valves do a good job keeping the temperature even.

Yeah, I DIY my own plumbing as well.

ice

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Don't know about every electrician. How about just polling the residential ones - the ones that regularly connect water heaters? I highly suspect the percentage would be way better than half - that's their business.

ice

I'd bet that half's reply would be.." We run a 240v 30 amp circuit to it cause that's what we've always done " without a care of how the thermostats are interlocked inside of it.

But that's just my speculation just like yours...... :)

JAP>

Status
Not open for further replies.