Can lighting contactors be used for heat trace?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JNjie

I am trying to find a 120 VAC rated ,10 pole contactor that can be used for heat trace . I found lighting contactor 500LC that can be used for general purpose rated at 30 A 600VAC.Can lighting contactors be used for heat trace? If not what contactors can be used?

luckylerado

I believe so as long as they are rated for the continuous current. You will still need to provide GFI protection and I do not believe that the contactor would meet the requirement of a disconnect.

I do not see anything that prohibits this in 427.

Are you using 1 thermostat to control 10 pieces of heat trace?

JNjie

I believe so as long as they are rated for the continuous current. You will still need to provide GFI protection and I do not believe that the contactor would meet the requirement of a disconnect.

I do not see anything that prohibits this in 427.

Are you using 1 thermostat to control 10 pieces of heat trace?
yes I am using a thermostat to control them.I will need them to switch the heat trace on n off

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
It's only called a "lighting" contactor because that's the most common use for a contactor that is not a motor starting contactor. It's motor starting that is the special application and ratings issue. All else is fine, but they are marketed as "lighting" contactors because of volume. Heat trace is a resistive load, just like an incandescent light bulb. Any contactor will work fine.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
It's only called a "lighting" contactor because that's the most common use for a contactor that is not a motor starting contactor. It's motor starting that is the special application and ratings issue. All else is fine, but they are marketed as "lighting" contactors because of volume. Heat trace is a resistive load, just like an incandescent light bulb. Any contactor will work fine.

Yes, all contactors can be used for all loads, there is simply a difference in their nominal and maximum ratings.

Lighting contactors have contacts designed for the inrush of magnetic ballasts and tungsten.
Motor contactors have contacts designed for starting and breaking motor locked rotor and 'jogging' currents.
IEC contactors are supplied with application charts showing their different ratings based on different loads.

Status
Not open for further replies.