Dual function AFCI/GFCI breaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
While I have not been on site myself, I have a co-worker indicating than a run of the mill GFCI tester will not trip a dual function AFCI/GFCI breaker (Siemans in this case). I can't think of any reason why this would be so. Is there something I don't understand here?

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
The breaker is either defective or the tester is not passing enough current for enough time to trip the GFCI portion of the breaker. Technically the test button is the only sure way to test a GFCI.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
The GFCI portion of a dual function AFCI/GFCI is a "Class A GFCI" that, in normal operation, has to trip when a leakage current to ground of 4 to 6 milliamps occurs. A functioning GFCI receptacle tester plugged into a receptacle protected by the dual function AFCI/GFCI breaker will trip the breaker. No trip = a problem (bad breaker, tester in receptacle not on the load of the AFCI/GFCI breaker, bad tester, incomplete leakage current circuit).

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Not likely to be the problem, but if the receptacle in question does not have a working EGC that is isolated from the neutral at the receptacle end the plug in GFCI tester will not work.

Last edited:

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
The GFCI portion of a dual function AFCI/GFCI is a "Class A GFCI" that, in normal operation, has to trip when a leakage current to ground of 4 to 6 milliamps occurs. A functioning GFCI receptacle tester plugged into a receptacle protected by the dual function AFCI/GFCI breaker will trip the breaker. No trip = a problem (bad breaker, tester in receptacle not on the load of the AFCI/GFCI breaker, bad tester, incomplete leakage current circuit).
Agreed. Tester was verified on a standard GFCI circuit on the same project. I'm starting to think that there may be an issue with the breaker. The issue was bought to me because the only difference in this installation was the duel function breaker seemed to be the common denominator.

kwired

Electron manager
Does the test button on the breaker trip it?

Sort of means it passes the test if it does - yet leaves my suspicions high if known working GFCI tester will not trip it.

I myself would play around with it and put higher load to ground on it just to see what it does for my own curiosity, but would still replace it regardless of what I find.

Status
Not open for further replies.