3 point grounding system

Status
Not open for further replies.

102 Inspector

Occupation
Inspector- All facets
Have a project that the plans call for a 3 point ground rod system. I have never seen this referenced before and have questions. The project is wood frame with a concrete encased electrode provided and will have a 1 1/2" copper water line. What am I missing that would require a 3 point ground rod system. Are they indicating they want 3- 5/8" ground rods connected together? There is nothing about any ohms requirement. Any comments on what is intended. Thanks

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
For some reason some designers think there is something magical about three rods in a triad, but the fact is, it's just a waste of money.

Roger

big john

If you have an Ufer then your effective electrode is already the entire surface-area of the building footing. Adding three little rods on top of that ain't gonna do nuthin.

But yes, they got a grounding-voodoo spec from somewhere that says if you sink three electrodes in the shape of a mystical pyramid then this appeases the Almighty Diety of Grounding and he will favor their facility with reduced transient voltage. :D

So do it and get paid.

J.P.

Oh nooo! I usually put my three ground rods in a straight line.

Engineers are odd beast for sure. I had a spec for three ground rods with #2 wire, plus a CEE with #2 wire, and my building steel bond, gas and water bond. All spec'ed #2. 400A service.

Whatever... I'll do whats on the prints as long as it isn't unsafe.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I had a spec for three ground rods with #2 wire, plus a CEE with #2 wire, and my building steel bond, gas and water bond. All spec'ed #2. 400A service.

Whatever... I'll do whats on the prints as long as it isn't unsafe.
I have an ongoing project with over 70 rods cadwelded to 4/0 :blink:.

Roger

Tony S

OK I should have quoted this first.

Mabey they mean a triad??

"3 point" in the context of grounding usually would mean fall of potential test in my experience.

Multi-point earthing is common the world over.

One particular job needed 10 off 30Ft rods to get to a value accepted by UK’s M&Q regulations (mines and quarries not BS7671). M&Q is statute law, there is no option other than comply.
Not fun in a quarry when you’re on bedrock before you start.

The testing was by fall of potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.