terminal block inside 120/208 volt panel

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am doing a restaurant with a kitchen hood and shunt trip breakers in the panel. From the control box to the panel I have at 12/3 MC. Inside the electrical panel I would like to mount to the terminal blocks. I would like the wire coming from the control panel to land on one side of the terminal blocks,the other side of the terminal strip go to the shunt trip breakers. The reason for the terminal blocks is there are ten shunt trip breakers and one wire feeding the. I think a terminal strip would look better than a wire nut. Of course the input side would be jumpers together with jumpers, the other side to the breakers.
Is th8s legal? I read 408 and it didnt say it was illegal.
Thanks
Shawn

luckylerado

I am doing a restaurant with a kitchen hood and shunt trip breakers in the panel. From the control box to the panel I have at 12/3 MC. Inside the electrical panel I would like to mount to the terminal blocks. I would like the wire coming from the control panel to land on one side of the terminal blocks,the other side of the terminal strip go to the shunt trip breakers. The reason for the terminal blocks is there are ten shunt trip breakers and one wire feeding the. I think a terminal strip would look better than a wire nut. Of course the input side would be jumpers together with jumpers, the other side to the breakers.
Is th8s legal? I read 408 and it didnt say it was illegal.
Thanks
Shawn

I have always daisy chained the trip coils.

kwired

Electron manager
My question is why not a single shunt trip feeder breaker supplying a panel with all the circuits that need to be controlled by shunt trip if there are several?

Besoeker

Just double land the terminals. These coils are hooked up parallel just like a row of lights. One side is N the other is L

View attachment 13825
Most people would consider the term "daisy chain" to mean a series arrangement. Just like an actual daisy chain we would make as children. I think iWire would also have considered that way too. Hence his comment in post #4.

big john

Most people would consider the term "daisy chain" to mean a series arrangement....
It's common slang to the refer to "daisy-chained" lights where the paralleled circuit is jumped from one to the next.

The confusion for me was that I've never heard of terminal-style shunt trips that would allow that to be possible.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Most people would consider the term "daisy chain" to mean a series arrangement. Just like an actual daisy chain we would make as children. I think iWire would also have considered that way too. Hence his comment in post #4.
To me the term implies a parallel arrangement where conductors jump from input to input, as opposed to a star configuration where all the inputs are fed from a common point.

iwire

Staff member
To me the term implies a parallel arrangement where conductors jump from input to input, as opposed to a star configuration where all the inputs are fed from a common point.

Maybe so but that is not the typical use of daisy chain, at least in this area.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Maybe so but that is not the typical use of daisy chain, at least in this area.
See the other thread about there not being a "correct" usage of slang. Another common use of the term is for a way of connecting multiple data storage devices where the ports are both input and output.

Of course, I do not miss SCSI at all... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.