Question on a multi-family service

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonype

200-amp main breaker for multi-family building. From this breaker, 7 meters are serviced. Each meter services a panel for an apartment (or the "House").

These individual panels do not have main breakers (all have 6 or less distribution breakers - from my knowledge, this is the limit for panels without a main breaker). My questions:

1. Should each dwelling have a dedicated breaker?
2. Equipment grounding conductors and grounded neutral conductors share terminal bars within the panel. Is this legit?

Attachments

• DSCF0772_edited-1.jpg
    DSCF0772_edited-1.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 7

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
It looks like there is a disconnect ahead of the meters so there is only one breaker for the service. Is this not correct?

david

The conductors on the load side of the service disconnect passing through the meter and on to what appears to be 100 amp distribution equipment are taps from the main service overcurrent protection

The individual 100 amp distribution panels being protected by the service disconnect above the rating of the 100 amp panels . Yes they would need over current protection .

The meters on the load side of the service disconnect are allowed to have the neutral bonded. And it would be difficult not to bond the neutral in the meter enclosures

The 100 amp (sub-panels) would need the neutral to be isolated from ground

kwired

Electron manager
These individual panels do not have main breakers (all have 6 or less distribution breakers - from my knowledge, this is the limit for panels without a main breaker).
True they can have 6 or less distribution breakers. One problem may be whether or not the panels used are rated to be used in that way. The current version of the panels used in the picture I'm pretty sure would require 100 amp max ocpd ahead of the panel or a back fed main.

Also at the time those were installed the "lighting and appliance" panelboard requirements did apply, the absence of that may be what would allow this install today when it wouldn't have then.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Reverse grandfathering? Something that was illegal when installed is OK without being touched now that the code has changed?
That generally does not work for building permits AFAIK.

domnic

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
MULTI FAMILY SERVICE

MULTI FAMILY SERVICE

If the panels are service rated I see nothing wrong .

kwired

Electron manager
If the 200 amp main is before the meters is it still a service disconnect?
If not then there is definitely more then six service disconnecting means here.

Many POCO won't like the arrangement as it leaves easier access to unmetered conductors, but NEC has no problem with service disconnect ahead of meters.

Status
Not open for further replies.