Foyers and Hallways

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Under the 2011 NEC a hallway requires only a receptacle within the hallway that is more than 10' in length.

210.52(H) Hallways. In dwelling units, hallways of 3.0 m (10 ft) or more in length shall have at least one receptacle outlet.
As used in this subsection, the hallway length shall be considered the length along the centerline of the hallway without passing through a doorway.
(I) Foyers. Foyers that are not part of a hallway in accordance with 210.52(H) and that have an area that is greater
than 5.6 m 2 (60 ft 2 ) shall have a receptacle(s) located in each wall space 900 mm (3 ft) or more in width. Doorways, door-side windows that extend to the floor, and similar openings shall not be considered wall space.

What's the definition of a doorway as it relates to this section? Would an arched opening between the hallway and an adjacent foyer be considered a doorway? If the arched opening is not a doorway then the way this is written a 9' long hallway attached to a foyer that is greater than 60 sq ft would require no receptacles?

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
What's the definition of a doorway as it relates to this section? Would an arched opening between the hallway and an adjacent foyer be considered a doorway? If the arched opening is not a doorway then the way this is written a 9' long hallway attached to a foyer that is greater than 60 sq ft would require no receptacles?

How would you describe this arch? Is it just arched at the ceiling with no interruption of the wall line below it?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
How would you describe this arch? Is it just arched at the ceiling with no interruption of the wall line below it?

For arguments sake let's say something like this from Google a hallway connected to a foyer, but does it really meet the definition of a doorway without a door?

a1hallway.jpg

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
For arguments sake let's say something like this from Google a hallway connected to a foyer, but does it really meet the definition of a doorway without a door?
That's what I was imagining. To me that is a hallway.

I have a similar, although more modest set up in my house. Only the ceiling is interrupted, not the walls.

iwire

Staff member
No code to back this up but IMPO the fact that the arch reaches the floor and a cord would have to run around the opening to pass through it means its a doorway.

Status
Not open for further replies.