Status
Not open for further replies.

electricalist

The wiring method requires a metal raceway.
Metal sheathed cable assemblies are not permitted for critical or life safety branch circuits.
Reading the specs on HCF MC it says for use in patient care areas.
I know its ok to use when fishing down walls etc. In short where does HCF MC get used the most.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I know its ok to use when fishing down walls etc. In short where does HCF MC get used the most.
It depends on how the specs are written and any VE that may be agreed on so basically it can be used in place of hard piping and is in many installations.

Roger

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
The wiring method requires a metal raceway.
Metal sheathed cable assemblies are not permitted for critical or life safety branch circuits.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

??

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Gus, see 517.30(C)(3)(3), it pretty much eliminates flexible wiring methods for the Critical and Life Safety branches in new construction.

Roger

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Gus, see 517.30(C)(3)(3), it pretty much eliminates flexible wiring methods for the Critical and Life Safety branches in new construction.

Roger

Am I correct in my thinking that the limitation only applies to then emergency system wiring ?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Roger
Am I correct in my thinking that the limitation only applies to then emergency system wiring ?
Yes.
Roger
I thought that under the 2014 code, only the life safety branch was emergency wiring, or are you just using a generic term?

However that doesn't change the rules in 517 that require non-flexible wiring methods. It does mean that 700.28 does not apply to the critical branch.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I thought that under the 2014 code, only the life safety branch was emergency wiring, or are you just using a generic term?

However that doesn't change the rules in 517 that require non-flexible wiring methods. It does mean that 700.28 does not apply to the critical branch.
Don, actually under 2014 there is no "Emergency System" which is the reason I said Critical and Life Safety branches in my second post. When I answered "yes" to Gus's question in my third post it was basically a generic answer.

Of course in NC we are still under 11 so many of my answers are still referencing it.

Roger

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Don, actually under 2014 there is no "Emergency System" which is the reason I said Critical and Life Safety branches in my second post. When I answered "yes" to Gus's question in my third post it was basically a generic answer.

Of course in NC we are still under 11 so many of my answers are still referencing it.

Roger
There is no emergency system as such, but 517.26 requires that the life safety branch comply with Article 700, except as modified by Article 517.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
There is no emergency system as such, but 517.26 requires that the life safety branch comply with Article 700, except as modified by Article 517.
Exactly. Nothing has changed from past cycles except doing away with the term "Emergency System".

Roger

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Exactly. Nothing has changed from past cycles except doing away with the term "Emergency System".

Roger
What has really changed is the selective coordination issue. There is a major difference of opinion on that requirement between the technical committees for NFPA 99 and NFPA 70. It is my understanding that difference of opinion was the driving force on the removal of the term "emergency system" from 517.
Coordination (Selective). Localization of an overcurrent condition to restrict outages to the circuit or equipment affected,
accomplished by the selection and installation of overcurrent protective devices and their ratings or settings for the full range
of available overcurrents, from overload to the maximum available fault current, and for the full range of overcurrent protective
device opening times associated with those overcurrents.
517.30(G) Coordination. Overcurrent protective devices serving the essential electrical system shall be coordinated for the period of time that a fault’s duration extends beyond 0.1 second.
The first from Article 100 requiring the selective coordination down to time "0" and the second from 517 down to 0.1 seconds.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

Roger

Sometimes that seems really cut and dry.

Other times I don't think I've ever been so confused by a non-change:)

Status
Not open for further replies.