Service Conductors Above Roofs

Status
Not open for further replies.

zcanyonboltz

230.24 (A) Ex 2 says if the roof has a slope of 4" in 12" or greater a reduction from the 8' clearance requirement to 3' shall be permitted.
My question is what is greater than 4" in 12"?, is 5" in 12" would this be greater?, what would a flat roof be greater or less than 4" in 12"? I understand the pitch of the roof the wording greater is what is getting me. Thanks

Also can anyone explain 230.24 (A) Ex 3 this says if the conductors clearance can be reduced to 18" if going thru a through the roof raceway and not more 6' of conductors pass above the roof and 4 feet horizontally. What does horizontally refer to? Thanks

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
230.24 (A) Ex 2 says if the roof has a slope of 4" in 12" or greater a reduction from the 8' clearance requirement to 3' shall be permitted.
My question is what is greater than 4" in 12"?, is 5" in 12" would this be greater?, what would a flat roof be greater or less than 4" in 12"? I understand the pitch of the roof the wording greater is what is getting me. Thanks

Also can anyone explain 230.24 (A) Ex 3 this says if the conductors clearance can be reduced to 18" if going thru a through the roof raceway and not more 6' of conductors pass above the roof and 4 feet horizontally. What does horizontally refer to? Thanks

Greater pitch will result in a steeper angle from "horizontal" or "level". A 4" in 12" pitch gives you about an 18 degree angle from "horizontal" roof surface.

The second question in your OP: In many thru the roof applications you usually are only passing over a limited amount of roof because the portion below the roof is usually still on exterior of the building. They are saying you can not reduce the clearance to 18 inches permitted by that exception if the roof "overhang" is more then 4 feet, or because of the angle of the overhead conductors in relation to the roof you exceed more then 4 feet over the roof. (over head drop doesn't need to be exactly perpendicular to the roof, but needs to still head away from the structure and not parallel to the roof)

The 6 foot mentioned allows you to have six feet of conductor over the roof - but you are still limited to 4 foot horizontal dimension.

Note the 4/6 foot part only applies where it is permitted to reduce clearance to 18 inches above the roof.

mgookin

I was told there would be no math :lol:

Then try this on for size.

All roofs are flat roofs regardless of slope (domes excepted). Those roofs which appear to be horizontal are low slope roofs usually 1/4" per foot.

Slope in roofing is expressed as rise/ run.
You go up, then over.
The run is always expressed as 12 because we use a 12 based counting system in construction in America.
Increase the top number and you rise more per the same amount of run.

Status
Not open for further replies.