Hard wired clothes dryer

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
I agree, but it seems that Mcdonald's tends to keep the cleanest kitchens overall these days. I cant find the links, but Ive seen media make reports that some of the worst conditions were actually locally owned Chinese restaurants and buffets.

Other then what is made in their fryer do they actually cook anything anymore? Seems all they do it heat up something already prepared and add some condiments.

I don't like listening to people bash food handling workers, especially over the minor things. I have been in restaurants and food processing plants, it isn't as simple as many think. Yes food product safety needs high priority and generally gets it, but the simplest oversight can be potentially harmful to the product. These people that have nothing good to say need to spend a few weeks working in such places and then they will either realize what is a real problem with food safety or they will never eat anything again.

At least most commercially prepared foods have some governing over methods used, what about the foods you eat when you go to that "potluck" meal at the church or other community gathering? If you have been in some of those people's kitchens you may not even want to see their food on the table with other foods.

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
buyer beware......

buyer beware......

thatwasntchicken-small.jpg

~RJ~

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Other then what is made in their fryer do they actually cook anything anymore? Seems all they do it heat up something already prepared and add some condiments.

They still cook the patties on a flat surface grill.

I don't like listening to people bash food handling workers, especially over the minor things. I have been in restaurants and food processing plants, it isn't as simple as many think. Yes food product safety needs high priority and generally gets it, but the simplest oversight can be potentially harmful to the product. These people that have nothing good to say need to spend a few weeks working in such places and then they will either realize what is a real problem with food safety or they will never eat anything again.

At least most commercially prepared foods have some governing over methods used, what about the foods you eat when you go to that "potluck" meal at the church or other community gathering? If you have been in some of those people's kitchens you may not even want to see their food on the table with other foods.

Never bashed the workers, it comes down to training and enforcement.

JFletcher

Though hard to tell for sure, I'd bet they only used 12 AWG conductors.

If you were a DIY purchasing your own materials - where do you get A/C or MC cable in only 5-6 foot lengths? My guess is you need to purchase about 25 foot package at a big box store? I really doubt they sell enough to want to cut this kind of cable and especially in the needed 10/3 or 10/3 with ground. I'd bet the typical three wire cord and receptacle is cheaper or at least about the same cost. You may be able to get cut lengths at an electrical supply house.

Not sure if big box stores have it in cut lengths on their big reel racks. My guess is it is run from the panel like that and not a j-box out of sight.

kwired

Electron manager
Not sure if big box stores have it in cut lengths on their big reel racks. My guess is it is run from the panel like that and not a j-box out of sight.
They generally have what sells. What doesn't sell in higher quantities is usually not a very good buy and is probably better priced at an electric supply house. 10-3 or 10-3 with ground MC cable is probably not a very big seller and probably not nearly as good of a buy as NM cable is at a big box store, if they even have it in stock. Some may be able to get it but not carry in local stock.

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
Well i guess i'll have to apologize to all the local appliance guys i demeaned and degraded over the years

They come by it honestly.....:)

~RJ~

kenman215

Worst thing I ever saw with a Dryer was done by the previous owner who worked for the utility company. A friend bought the house and a month after moving in had electrical issues in the laundry/downstairs bath and living room. I pull out the four-wire outlet and find its a 12-2 breakered at 230, bare ground hooked up to the neutral terminal. Once more, the back of the box was blown out and there were two more 12-2s each black under a different line screw, the neutrals with the bare ground of the feed in, and the two grounds under the ground terminal of the outlet. One of these 12-2s ran to the washer and then out to the bath GFI and lights. The other 12-2 fed the living room outlets and lights. Took a while to figure out why the living room was dead, but after moving a 250 bureau it became obvious by the 4' radius of charcoaled wainscot and disintegrated outlet where the issue was. After that, everything with a dryer seems minor by comparison...

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Worst thing I ever saw with a Dryer was done by the previous owner who worked for the utility company. A friend bought the house and a month after moving in had electrical issues in the laundry/downstairs bath and living room. I pull out the four-wire outlet and find its a 12-2 breakered at 230, bare ground hooked up to the neutral terminal. Once more, the back of the box was blown out and there were two more 12-2s each black under a different line screw, the neutrals with the bare ground of the feed in, and the two grounds under the ground terminal of the outlet. One of these 12-2s ran to the washer and then out to the bath GFI and lights. The other 12-2 fed the living room outlets and lights. Took a while to figure out why the living room was dead, but after moving a 250 bureau it became obvious by the 4' radius of charcoaled wainscot and disintegrated outlet where the issue was. After that, everything with a dryer seems minor by comparison...

Im not saying its right but it may not entirely his fault . A person who has only ever worked with utility power systems with no idea of resi will more then likely do a code violation spectacular. Tapping larger size conductors off smaller ones, using bare grounds as neutral, as many things as possible on a single circuit, ect are all the norm in POCO systems.

This is why we can't have nice things

This is why we can't have nice things

Things like this are what allow for things like the 2017 NEC to push their tyranny down our throats.

I guess we'll have GFCI protection on all clothes dryers before we know it.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Things like this are what allow for things like the 2017 NEC to push their tyranny down our throats.

I guess we'll have GFCI protection on all clothes dryers before we know it.
The NEC is a lot of things, but not tyrannical. It is nothing but a book until it is adopted by a state, county, or other jurisdiction, and it's amendable by any of those.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
The NEC is a lot of things, but not tyrannical. It is nothing but a book until it is adopted by a state, county, or other jurisdiction, and it's amendable by any of those.

Not yet tyrannical. But with the empty fire extinguisher codes being passed it becomes more so each day. Yes local and state amendments can remove certain requirements, but I dont see that happening as much because many believe these new code requirements are a holy grail.

kwired

Electron manager
Not yet tyrannical. But with the empty fire extinguisher codes being passed it becomes more so each day. Yes local and state amendments can remove certain requirements, but I dont see that happening as much because many believe these new code requirements are a holy grail.
Many don't want the liability that may come their way if they make their own changes without some extensive research to back up their changes, I can understand that in today's litigation happy world.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Michigan only enforces some of the NEC. They took it upon themselves to eliminate Article 547, for one thing. Michigan is under their own code, which references most, but not all, of the NEC.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Many don't want the liability that may come their way if they make their own changes without some extensive research to back up their changes, I can understand that in today's litigation happy world.

Which, the system has given the NFPA all the power :happysad:

Status
Not open for further replies.