Questionable service ground, subpanel with no grounding conductor

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a question and I hope doesn't violate the forum rules. I read about the forum while reading Karl Riley's book "Tracing EMF's In Building Wiring and Grounding". I have just ordered the Soares book on grounding. I've been an electrician for more than 40 years and am a member of IBEW 6.

I have found an odd problem with the service and sub-panel grounding in an older house. The electrical service entrance is on the opposite side of the house from the water service. The alleged existing service ground to a water pipe is inaccessible. It's in a very tight crawl space and the plumbers, during a kitchen remodel when the floor of the kitchen was off, ran their plastic drains where it was easiest for them. Pretty much cutting off further access to anyone but a midget and it's a long crawl. The new water service, seems to be in the same location as the old one, based on the meter location at the street curb, and is on the opposite side of the building in the garage. There is a sub-panel in the garage, fed by old romex with no grounding conductor.

The main service ground is definitely not connected to the incoming water service within 15 feet, it's on the opposite side of the building and may be connected to an obsolete galvanized water pipe that is not readily inspectable. Even if it's not obsolete, it's inaccessible for inspection to verify its integrity. Running a new service ground wire to the water service entrance is a serious problem. What section addresses the issue of not attaching the service ground directly to the incoming water service and only using two grounding electrodes as the primary service ground?

The service is an old FPE (yuck) unit that they aren't planning on replacing as they're new owners. The property is very near the San Francisco bay and the people across the street, who are a tad lower in elevation, get water, meaning mud, in their crawl spaces at very high tide. This unit may not. Still, the soil underneath is usually damp with salt water.

My thought was to run two ground rods on the electrical service side of the house. I always run 10' rods so that more than 8' is buried and the clamps are visually inspectable, I also use clamps for burial and grease the threads If I have stainless steel screws, I sometimes use those, also with greased threads.

In the garage for the sub-panel with no grounding conductor, my thought was to make sure the neutral block is isolated and run a grounding wire from the sub-panel ground buss to the water pipe service entrance. What code section addresses whether this is properly bonding the sub-panel grounding buss to the water service?

The rules say no free ranging discussions about problems to be solved, but in this instance, I hope asking for what are the relevant code sections about something weird and unusual, isn't an issue. It's unlikely I will get to do this job, so my query is hypothetical as I'm very interested in knowing more about this rather complicated situation.

Thank you for your time and thoughts.

iwire

Staff member
I have found an odd problem with the service and sub-panel grounding in an older house. The electrical service entrance is on the opposite side of the house from the water service. The alleged existing service ground to a water pipe is inaccessible.

That is currently a code violation but I do not know how far back that rule goes.

250.68 Grounding Electrode Conductor and Bonding
Jumper Connection to Grounding Electrodes.

(A) Accessibility.
All mechanical elements used to terminate
a grounding electrode conductor or bonding jumper to
a grounding electrode shall be accessible.

Exception No. 1: An encased or buried connection to a
concrete-encased, driven, or buried grounding electrode
shall not be required to be accessible.

The main service ground is definitely not connected to the incoming water service within 15 feet, it's on the opposite side of the building

Currently you need to be within 5' but again I do not know how far back that requirement goes.

250.68 Grounding Electrode Conductor and Bonding
Jumper Connection to Grounding Electrodes.

(C) Metallic Water Pipe and Structural Metal.
Grounding
electrode conductors and bonding jumpers shall be permitted
to be connected at the following locations and used
to extend the connection to an electrode(s):

(1) Interior metal water piping located not more than 1.52 m
(5 ft) from the point of entrance to the building shall be
permitted to be used as a conductor to interconnect electrodes
that are part of the grounding electrode system.

My thought was to run two ground rods on the electrical service side of the house.

You can always add rods if you want to however that does not get you around the NEC requirement to use the all the electrodes that exist. You will still need to use the water line if it qualifies as an electrode.

250.50 Grounding Electrode System. All grounding electrodes
as described in 250.52(A)(1) through (A)(7) that are
present at each building or structure served shall be bonded
together to form the grounding electrode system. Where
none of these grounding electrodes exist, one or more of
the grounding electrodes specified in 250.52(A)(4) through
(A)(8) shall be installed and used.

I always run 10' rods so that more than 8' is buried and the clamps are visually inspectable,.

You can do that but it will likely create another violation. See the part I made red below

250.53 Grounding Electrode System Installation.
(G) Rod and Pipe Electrodes.
The electrode shall be installed
such that at least 2.44 m (8 ft) of length is in contact
with the soil. It shall be driven to a depth of not less than
2.44 m (8 ft) except that, where rock bottom is encountered,
the electrode shall be driven at an oblique angle not
to exceed 45 degrees from the vertical or, where rock bottom
is encountered at an angle up to 45 degrees, the electrode shall
be permitted to be buried in a trench that is at least 750 mm
(30 in.) deep. The upper end of the electrode shall be flush
with or below ground level unless the above ground end and
the grounding electrode conductor attachment are protected
against physical damage as specified in 250.10.

In the garage for the sub-panel with no grounding conductor, my thought was to make sure the neutral block is isolated and run a grounding wire from the sub-panel ground buss to the water pipe service entrance. What code section addresses whether this is properly bonding the sub-panel grounding buss to the water service?

No, absolutely not. You can never use the water line as an EGC, the EGC must run back to the source. Also the EGC for the panel must be contained in the same cable or conduit as the rest of the circuit conductors.

See 300.3(B)

Status
Not open for further replies.