What hours do you work on the west coast?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgookin

To all of our good members out west:

What office hours do most offices out there normally work?

I can see if you were in financials, etc. then you'd have to work whatever hours the markets are open in NY & CHI but aside from that, are you normally 9-5 local time like most other regions?

And of course trades mostly work daylight hours when working outdoors except for those jobs/ projects which need to be done at night.

kwired

Electron manager
If in Hawaii and wanted to work when NY markets are open you have to work 4:00 AM to noon, 5:00 AM to 1:00 PM during daylight savings time - which they don't recognize there.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I think it will vary all over the map (sorry, bad joke). I am nominally 7:00 to 4:00 with lunch somewhere in the middle. But that schedule varies day to day. We are not clock watchers here. As long as the work gets done and the clients are happy, all is well.

kwired

Electron manager
I actually prefer when weather is hot to start early and quit early before it reaches max temp of the day, don't always happen but is my preference.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
To all of our good members out west:

What office hours do most offices out there normally work?

I can see if you were in financials, etc. then you'd have to work whatever hours the markets are open in NY & CHI but aside from that, are you normally 9-5 local time like most other regions?

And of course trades mostly work daylight hours when working outdoors except for those jobs/ projects which need to be done at night.

most of the timers i see set light the building up at 7:30 am, and turn things off at 7:00 pm.
people here work a lot, and there is flex time to consider.
everyone's looking for an edge around traffic... the sweet spot where you can actually drive the
car above 28 mph.

if i'm going north to work, i need to clear the LA basin by 5:30 am, or i'm screwed.
so i'm usually out the door by 4:30 am at the latest.

oceanobob

Occupation
electrical and industrial contractor company owner
We settled back to the old familiar: 7 to 3:30 w lunch at noon. This is typically what I am familiar with: Offices are 8 to 5. Supply house 7 to 4.

rt66electric

A rough day is .....

A rough day is .....

Lets see...

self employed...mono-employee ....My boss(me) is an asshole and my employee(me) is a lazy bum

wake up 7;30am

Eat breakfast at home ( maybe more activities with the wife) kids are already off to school...;)

leave house 8;30 or so

drive to morning service call (usually less than a mile) Finnish a service call or two

go home at noon for lunch (or whatever)

1:00 goto parts store and goto afternoon service call

3:00 (or earlier) usually get home

Put less than 5 miles on the truck and make enough to pay bills

That a good day..

mike7330

Are you hiring???

Are you hiring???

Would we have time for a few coffee breaks??
I really hate when coffee breaks run into lunch ... ;)

Lets see...

self employed...mono-employee ....My boss(me) is an asshole and my employee(me) is a lazy bum

wake up 7;30am

Eat breakfast at home ( maybe more activities with the wife) kids are already off to school...;)

leave house 8;30 or so

drive to morning service call (usually less than a mile) Finnish a service call or two

go home at noon for lunch (or whatever)

1:00 goto parts store and goto afternoon service call

3:00 (or earlier) usually get home

Put less than 5 miles on the truck and make enough to pay bills

That a good day..

J.P.

Most of my projects last 6 months to a year so everybody just meets there at 7am 1/2 hr lunch, leave at 3:30.

If it's a time and material we stay until it's done if it can be done in a 12-14hr day.

kenman215

When I first opened my business, I wanted to have a safety net, so I got a 3rd shift warehouse job stacking pallets full of grocery products. Schedule was 4 10hr nights from 7pm to 5:30am, Sun, Mon, Thurs, Fri. I would work from Sunday night through to Tuesday evening, from Thursday morning through to Friday evening without sleep. Some of that time was also spent driving to and from work with a couple showers in there as well. Also worked the electrical end every other day of the week. Did that madness for three years. Oh to be in my mid 20s again...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I'm an inspector and we're on a two week schedule (9/80) So we work 7:00-4:30 with a half hour lunch and every other Friday I work 7:00-3:30 and every other Friday I'm off. Our office hours are 7:00-8:00 and 4:00-4:30.

Status
Not open for further replies.