Who provides impact drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenman215

We actually don't let go of guys with no notice. They have a 3 month review, after which they are either hired or informed of the things they need to work on. If not hired, they then get another 3 months to show signs of improvement in the areas that need work. If they improve, they're hired, if not, they aren't. But they always made aware during this entire time. So when someone isn't retained, it's hardly ever a surprise.

Quitting without giving two weeks; purposefully working somewhere while full well knowing that you're going to quit with no notice is simply just usery. It would be comparable to us hiring a bunch of guys under the premise of seeking full time employees and then letting them go after a job is over. We don't do that. We find other jobs for them to go to. Sometimes the company doesn't make as much money, but the bosses can actually sleep at night knowing they're doing the right thing.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

kenman215

I checked out the link, very informative. The local ibew here is in thw midst of a full on onslaught against us. They actually opened up a website, organize "my company's name" .com. They are picketing all of our major jobsites. Most of jobs, we are the only non-union contractor, so a lot of times we actually enter the sites through different gates to avoid the clamor.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

kwired

Electron manager
Quitting without giving two weeks; purposefully working somewhere while full well knowing that you're going to quit with no notice is simply just usery.

It can be more then that, you need to get into psychological aspects in that person's mind.

My wife has quit many jobs with no notice over the years, but has gotten better over the years of sticking it out after an unpleasant incident. My youngest son has similar problems. They both don't take criticism very well and if there is a boss or other coworker that is nasty about something they are likely to never come back with no notice at all. My wife doesn't like this characteristic, but over the years has learned to better deal with it, but still will not stay long at a workplace with too aggressive of coworkers. She has had many jobs where she liked the job, just could not stand the people she had to work with.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
I would expect a person who is serious about the trade to invest in his/her own tools that will be used on regular basis, including cordless tools. Ladders, benders,... and stuff that will get less abuse, the employer provides.

JoeyD74

Occupation
Electrical contractor
I would expect a person who is serious about the trade to invest in his/her own tools that will be used on regular basis, including cordless tools. Ladders, benders,... and stuff that will get less abuse, the employer provides.

What your taking about, employee supplying all that, is a sub contractor.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
What your taking about, employee supplying all that, is a sub contractor.

Respectfully, I have to disagree.

If the perspective employee does not have my tool list that I provide, I will not hire him. just my opinion.

JoeyD74

Occupation
Electrical contractor
Respectfully, I have to disagree.

If the perspective employee does not have my tool list that I provide, I will not hire him. just my opinion.

As long as your getting people to work for you, do what works. I would never expect a employee to provide ladders, benders and drills.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist

As long as your getting people to work for you, do what works. I would never expect a employee to provide ladders, benders and drills. <<I never said that

The ladders, benders..... and stuff that will get less abuse, the employER provides.

J.P.

I supplied my own hand tools when I was an apprentice, I had my own cordless drill as well. The company had them, but they were always being used or they were torn up. I like to have my own stuff and not sharing anyway.

The journeyman had a truck with all the tools on it, we could use what we needed. It was just easier to have your own stuff, especially when he would go get parts and the sawzall was still on the truck. The company bought me a tool set to keep with me eventually. I had to share it though.

Now I have my own truck ( different company ) with all the tools on it. If lack of power tools on a job is a problem I buy a kit and keep it on the truck. If a guy is trustworthy he can keep the set with him. The local Locke supply keeps a bunch of DeWalt stuff in stock so lack of tools is easily solved.

kwired

Electron manager
My first job, two man operation after my hire, I brought most of the tools I had to purchase when I went to school the first day. Boss told me what to take back home, mostly left me with screwdrivers, cutters, knife, pliers, and a carrying pouch. He even added a few tools or specific types that he thought I should carry and always replaced things when lost, worn out, etc, even got me a nicer carry pouch at some point in time.

When I quit working there I took those personal tools with me even though many of them were ones he replaced over my time there.

liquidtite

The ladders, benders..... and stuff that will get less abuse, the employER provides.

Expecting an employe to supply ladders ,benders ,power tools . Etc

is unfair ,I would never work for someone that would even suggest such a thing .

most shops I've wrk for the guys supply hand tools and shop supply's power tools.

now I have my own cordless drills sawzallls and benders ,soket sets,that I desire to use just bc

i feel I'm more productive with my own tools were I don't have to go find out we're the drills are at or worry about breaking a company tool or sharing .

Recently I've been using a lot of my own drill bits and holesaw bits that get damaged over time
And ill even replace on my own bits bc I don't mind spending the money

but to expect a person to supply benders ladders drills in my option is being cheap

a lot of guys can't afford tools other than the required hand tools

and how would guys with cars carry ladders and benders with them.

if a guy ever showed up on a job with his personal ladders I'm positive every one would say what are you doing why are you bringing ladders on job

are u crazyy

James L

Occupation
Electrician
You can deck a guy out from scratch for less than $1,000.00
Bags, hand tools, cordless kit, testers.....

That works out to a whopping 50 cents per hour if he sticks with you for a whole year.

Sheesh. Pony up a few bucks of appreciation for your help.

liquidtite

You can deck a guy out from scratch for less than $1,000.00
Bags, hand tools, cordless kit, testers.....

That works out to a whopping 50 cents per hour if he sticks with you for a whole year.

Sheesh. Pony up a few bucks of appreciation for your help.

personal if I was on an interview and the contractor told me to bring in ladders and benders I would think the company was a fly by nite company .

It dosnt take much to set ure guys up

Status
Not open for further replies.