Parralel offsets

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquidtite

I have four 1"" met conduits on a rack that will be offsetting 25" .

i bent the conduits using 45' angles

the spacing from center to center is 2" .

So my space in between bends was 35 3/8"

I made my first mark 33" from end of pipe to nAke the nose end up to land on rack and then made my second mark 35 3/8 " from that mark .

i bent each mArk at 45' and had my first piece .

Here's the part were not shure if I did correct my four conduits look good but the spacing is slightly off .

i know I have to add 3/4 "to my next piece but wasn't shure if I add it to both marks or just my second mark .

i ended up adding 3/4 " just to my second mark it got me close enough but want to see if I was correct .

i know there's a easier way we're u can line up spacing on floor and cut them all at shortest one

but I had extra time and wanted to try the diff method.

next ? Is after the 4 1" conduits I have to work a 2" next to them and then I'll have anouther

1" after the 2" suddenly the radious of the 2" is diff from the 1" what's the best way to fit the 1"
in . I was thinking I' could use last mum that I had for the 1" and try n cut it in

Thanks for your time

Smart $

Esteemed Member
You advance or retard each successive set of bend marks (both) by their spacing × tan({bend angle}/2).

For 2" spacing at 45° it's 0.829" or about 13/16". You add or subtract that to/from both marks if measuring both from the end. If you measure the second mark from the first, that stays the same (35 3/8").

The formula does not change for different diameters and radii. The only thing that matters is with the larger on the outside whether its bend will clear that of a smaller diameter, smaller radius bent conduit to the inside.

liquidtite

ok thanks

So say I pulled tape from end of pipe I had 30" made mark then made my second mark 20" from my first mark

On pipe two I would pull tape from end of pipe and first mark would be 30"13/16ths
Measure 20" from that mark to make second mark

Smart $

Esteemed Member
ok thanks

So say I pulled tape from end of pipe I had 30" made mark then made my second mark 20" from my first mark

On pipe two I would pull tape from end of pipe and first mark would be 30"13/16ths
Measure 20" from that mark to make second mark
Yes, if it is going on the outside of the first bend of the last piece.

If it's going on the inside of the first bend of the last piece you'd subtract.

kenman215

Thanks for the knowledge smart that was my next question

Check out the app iBend Pipe. It costs $1.99, has every kind of bend listed, all you do is input the measurements and angles you want to use. Good to have to double check, as well as for those rare bends you only do once a year. Best feature: built in digital level that zeros itself out if the floor is pitched.

Status
Not open for further replies.