Question about 250.140

Status
Not open for further replies.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Let's say there is an existing 3-wire cable to a dryer. Now for some reason the cable was spliced in a metal box, would it be better if the metal box was not bonded so no current would be on it or better to bond it?
Code issues aside, just wondering the safest method. I have seen this a couple of times and got me to thinking.

iwire

Staff member
Unless you are using box to join the conductors no current will flow on the box unless there is a fault, same as an EGC.

This would be no diffrent than leaving a meter socket unbonded. Unsafe.

user 100

Let's say there is an existing 3-wire cable to a dryer. Now for some reason the cable was spliced in a metal box, would it be better if the metal box was not bonded so no current would be on it or better to bond it?
Code issues aside, just wondering the safest method. I have seen this a couple of times and got me to thinking.

I'm with iwire-what's the extra danger, really?
Or you can also replace the metal box with plastic and call it a day.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Why don't we do this with old two wire romex circuits then?

It's a code violation (I know we aren't suppose to be concerned with that) to have a metal box if there is no ECG. It doesn't matter if it's 120, or 240 volts. That's why we don't do it.

The question is, why would someone use a metal box to make a splice in a circuit with no EGC? If someone did, and that needs to be addressed, bugging the neutral on to the box isn't the answer, replacing it with a plastic box is.

JFletcher

Code issues aside I'm wondering why there would ever be a realistic need for a splice on a dryer cable?

That aside, I find the idea of a plastic box also fantastic here.

JFletcher

Moving the dryer to a location where the cable doesn't quite reach and splicing 10 feet of cable is much easier than pulling 60 feet of new cable, maybe?

Point taken. Just been my experience that moving/re-arranging an existing laundry room winds up as part of a 'gut to the studs' job and pulling new 4 wire in place of the original 3 has to be done anyway.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Point taken. Just been my experience that moving/re-arranging an existing laundry room winds up as part of a 'gut to the studs' job and pulling new 4 wire in place of the original 3 has to be done anyway.

Lots of work around here was done as fast and cheap as possible. That usually meant by someone without a license and of course, without inspection.

When we do the work, we always pull new cable. Our inspectors are strict, fair and nice so we really like to stay on their good side.

ceknight

Moving the dryer to a location where the cable doesn't quite reach and splicing 10 feet of cable is much easier than pulling 60 feet of new cable, maybe?

Around here it happens when people move their laundry from the basement into an upstairs living space. They remove the surface mount dryer outlet, replace it with a metal 4x4 (if you're lucky), then splice the new cable for upstairs.

kwired

Electron manager
Code issues aside I'm wondering why there would ever be a realistic need for a splice on a dryer cable?

That aside, I find the idea of a plastic box also fantastic here.

And if you are trying to comply with 1987 NEC is not a problem when it comes to needing to add that fourth conductor in most instances.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.