Electrical Engineering - Electrician certification

Status
Not open for further replies.

loboesso

Hi everyone!

I am studying to be an Electrical Engineer(90%) sure will be on Power path; I am always been attracted to do electrical work (residential) but never become an Electrician, I did work for an Electrician as apprentice but for about 2 years long long time ago.

My questions are:
What are your thoughts on becoming an Electrician contractor in addition to finish my degree in EE, even if I dont work on a construction field?
My plans are to work for a Power Company, however I dont want to be an EE that not quite understand the electricians.. Is it possible?, Not worth

I am a Semiconductor Technician for 17 years and one thing I am certain is I like the Eng. side of any field but I also like to get dirty..

Basically I am looking for EE/Electricians to give me feedback.
Going through some forums, feels like there are not many EE that are Electricians or at least are willing to get dirty if the job needs to get done or know what needs to be done.

BY the way I am in my 40`, however I for certain, I have more motivation than some younger students in my EE courses. (They have more time though :( )

thanks in Advanced

mgookin

I think you're in Europe (or up all night studying) based on your time of post (shows 4:30am on my system and that's my local time).
Here's what I would suggest to someone here (in Florida) who asked the same question.
Get that EE degree and go work as an EE for someone. Then get your PE license.
Then figure out what you want to do.
If you're in your 40's now, add a few more years and that's where you'll be when that decision comes due. Just remember, the 50's is right around the corner!

Good luck in your studies! :thumbsup:

Oh, and Welcome to the forums too! :thumbsup:

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
What are your thoughts on becoming an Electrician contractor in addition to finish my degree in EE, even if I dont work on a construction field?
My plans are to work for a Power Company, however I dont want to be an EE that not quite understand the electricians.. Is it possible?
Engineers and electricians each have their own roles within our industry, and those roles seldom overlap. You would be doing one job or the other, but it is unlikely you would do both. I agree with your notion that an EE should have some understanding of what an EC does for a living, and how the EC does that job. Otherwise, we would not be able to perform design work and issue design documents that give the EC enough information to perpare their bid and ultimately install the project. But an EE doesn't have to also have an EC license, in order to do a good job with the design. Make your choice, and stick with it.

just the cowboy

Inactive, Email Never Verified
Your getting older

Your getting older

Most electricians at your age would be thankful to not have to get "dirty" as you put it. As you hit 45 -50 you will be glad you are a EE that don't have to get dirty, electrical work is very hard on the body. If you are going into the power end and work well with the EC's they will help where needed.

Barbqranch

Occupation
Plant maintenance electrician Semi-retired
I am in the tail end of the 60s, and I don't mind getting dirty now and then, but crawling around in attics or under buildings is a real pain. Hate that. Hate Hate Hate!

loboesso

Yes, I am in Arizona.. I work nights that is why the time...

My intention is not to work as an EC, but truly understand their job better

thanks for the feedback!

Iron_Ben

Yes, I am in Arizona..

My intention is not to work as an EC, but truly understand their job better

Well, that contradicts what you said in your first post, but that's okay. Just don't be one of those EE's that look down on electricians. That's very poor and wrong on every level. I saw it a lot. But given your background I don't think you will be one of those arrogant types.

Below is what I wrote after seeing your first post, but not your follow up:

I was an electrician in a large industrial plant (locomotive manufacturing) before getting my EE degree. I also worked 23 years for a power company. So we have some common ground/interests.

I don't fully understand your questions. However I agree with what mgookin said. Get the degree. Go to work for someone. Get your PE license 5 years later. At the point you are likely to have enough work experience to know how you want your career to develop. The idea of being a contractor and electrical engineer at the same time is not crazy. I know a few like that. But I don't think it's an easy fit. Just my opinion. Good luck to you!

loboesso

Well, that contradicts what you said in your first post, but that's okay. Just don't be one of those EE's that look down on electricians. That's very poor and wrong on every level. I saw it a lot. But given your background I don't think you will be one of those arrogant types.

I wont, I had been a Technician for 17 years and proud, I know what you mean, I still see it in my field! Some Eng dont show any interest on learning how their tool works.

Below is what I wrote after seeing your first post, but not your follow up:

I was an electrician in a large industrial plant (locomotive manufacturing) before getting my EE degree. I also worked 23 years for a power company. So we have some common ground/interests.

I don't fully understand your questions. However I agree with what mgookin said. Get the degree. Go to work for someone. Get your PE license 5 years later. At the point you are likely to have enough work experience to know how you want your career to develop. The idea of being a contractor and electrical engineer at the same time is not crazy. I know a few like that. But I don't think it's an easy fit. Just my opinion. Good luck to you!

Sorry if I didn't express my idea correctly at first.. Basically I am looking for feedback/experiences of EE's and EC's, if it is worth it to get an EC license on top of the EE degree. What I meant by getting dirty is that, I am not afraid to do an EC/Technician work if it gets the job done safely. It looks like getting the PE is the best option, not necessary get the EC license but understand in more detail the EC job - Of course depending on the job/company that I will be working for.

thanks guys!!

Lady Engineer

I'm an EE with PE, and I like doing site surveys and design. It's an honor to be responsible for safety and designing things. Plus, you can sit in an office. Being EC, with an EE is great for the field. You'll have the best of both worlds. I think EC is hard work, but rewarding if you can find good clients.

jusme123

Occupation
JW
Engineers and electricians each have their own roles within our industry, and those roles seldom overlap. You would be doing one job or the other, but it is unlikely you would do both. I agree with your notion that an EE should have some understanding of what an EC does for a living, and how the EC does that job. Otherwise, we would not be able to perform design work and issue design documents that give the EC enough information to perpare their bid and ultimately install the project. But an EE doesn't have to also have an EC license, in order to do a good job with the design. Make your choice, and stick with it.

...some projects the EE serves as the AHJ, state and federal projects come to mind

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Remember that not all EE are designers of 'buildings'. Some work for testing companies. Some do forensic analysis.
Having practical experience with installation is not likely to be a detriment to your EE career.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
In Washington, and many other states, to become an Journey Level Electrician requires 8,000 of supervised training, and then of course passing the electrician exam.
Charlie B says be one or the other
But we here at the forum, and my self on the job, see a lot of issues with EE designs, I review plans all the time and correct for NEC issues.....

loboesso

Good feedback guys, thanks.... Because I am late to the party(old guy), it is going to be hard to experience both! however I can offset that with field visits and learn a little bit.
In the end it all will depends in what type of job I will be doing and from there see what I can do, to do a better job..

If you guys have more experience please keep sharing.. Even though I am a senior Tech, studying for EE and making a career change to Power is new for me.

zog

Sounds like a testing company might be right for you. Many of the techs are also EE's, it's a nice mix of hands on technical stuff with more power engineering mixed in. Power system studies, relay testing, etc.. the industrys main conference is coming up soon in case you are interested. The lists of papers being presented will give you a good idea of what we do.
http://www.powertest.org/

Smart $

Esteemed Member

If you guys have more experience please keep sharing.. Even though I am a senior Tech, studying for EE and making a career change to Power is new for me.
Palo Verde Nuclear Generating Station is located in Tonopah AZ, west of Phoenix. It's definitely "Power", and they likely have electricians, electrical tech's, and EE's. And they likely hire contractors from time to time for shall we say in-house overloads (pun intended). :D

kwired

Electron manager
Being an EC can have a wide variety of things that goes with it. Something that is not so much "electrical" about that title is the management of employees - some may not even be electrical professionals but still support the main efforts of the business, bidding, estimating, purchasing, sales, etc., where a journeyman or master electrician may still have some things to manage they likely are more directly associated with specific projects and less in general management of the company. Of course in smaller companies like mine, the owner is doing the CEO type tasks as well as apprentice type tasks on a daily basis.

So I guess it kind of depends on what you wish to gain by becoming an EC. I would think you would need at least 5 or more years of experience in that role (and not just an EC license holder that otherwise works basically as a master or journeyman for some other EC, they are out there) to gain much valuable experience from that position.

Status
Not open for further replies.