Photo Electric or Ionization smoke alarms in Jersey?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ritelec

Hello.

Gonna wire a home in N.J.

I looked at the prints last year and the architect (who I heard was new at it) showed the smoke alarms to be photo electric.

I figured I'd cross this bridge when and if I got to it.... well I got to it.

I have never installed a photo electric smoke alarm. All smoke alarms over the past many years have been ionization.

I did a little searching and did notice that some states do require both ionization and photo electric but any googling I'm doing about Jersey is just calling for smoke alarms and doesn't mention which type.

Would anyone know... I will do the research but thought I'd ask here..

Thank you.

ritelec

Located the Kidde PI2010 dual photo/ion detector.. guess I could just install them, and add the separate co outside the beds.

Curious though.. I did look around. I think maybe Jersey is either or, but both are not required. If I find out a definite I will return.

Thank you

kwired

Electron manager
For best protection you need both types of sensing. Ionization smoke alarms are generally more responsive to flaming fires. Photoelectric smoke alarms are generally more responsive to fires that begin with a long period of smoldering.

Use of both types will better protect home occupants from both types of fires.

ritelec

okay, thank you.

As mentioned, not locating type of detector for N.J.

I usually use BRK. but I don't see that they make a ion/photo combo.
I see kidde makes a smoke ion/photo combo but no triple combo ion/photo/co

So although it may be preferred to install a combo ion/photo, there would still be a need for a separate device in outside bed applications to achieve ion/photo/co.

I'm also curious to which if any are required in attached garage or by furnace..

I'm looking and it doesn't seem to be "required" in those areas. But if installed they (and this for forum) suggest heat... It's also not required in attic unfinished space, however up there will be a air handler and heat furnace ???

Looks like it's smokes for in beds and each floor, and combo smoke/co for outside beds.. other than the more the merrier and adding photo or heats and just more devices is optional ??

I'll report back if the AHJ has any info to offer..

Thanks again

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
There's no specific requirement in the State for ion vs photo that I know of. Photo's will cost you a few $$ more than ion. Unless there's a municipal requirement for it I would use ions unless you have a known troublesome area like an attic or near a boiler.

You will need one in each bedroom and one combo ion/CO out in the bedroom hallway. If it's a large house with a long hallway you may need an additional one in that hallway. You'll also need at least one smoke alarm on each of the other levels. I usually make those combo units. That's my choice.

ritelec

You will need one in each bedroom and one combo ion/CO out in the bedroom hallway. If it's a large house with a long hallway you may need an additional one in that hallway. You'll also need at least one smoke alarm on each of the other levels. I usually make those combo units. That's my choice.

Okay thank you.

And no other locations are required.

Optional and maybe suggested. But not required.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Okay thank you.

And no other locations are required.

Optional and maybe suggested. But not required.

Check here for the requirements in the New Jersey IRC regarding smoke alarms. Both types are recognized and there are restrictions regarding the installation of each type. You can mix and match Kidded detectors based on the types of fires you might expect in a given area. Kidde makes both with a CO option but none with triple coverage (photo-ion-CO).

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
There's a lot of information out there for contractors doing work in NJ, and not just sparkies. All the codes are on line for a free look-see.

Conversely, there's any amount of information that's important for EC's in the IRC and energy codes, to name two. We'd all do well to indulge in a little bed time reading, especially since NJ changed the I-codes in September. The grace period runs out this March and you don't want to be smashing up wallboard to correct an oops! because you didn't know the latest and greatest.

mgookin

We get that in Florida too.

It's my understanding that a court of appeals ruled some 10-15 years ago that since it's law, there are limited abilities to enforce copyright and it has to be in the public domain.

Same goes for testing & certifications and that's why there are other companies offering testing besides the code publisher.

Nothing beats free access to the code.

Status
Not open for further replies.