Your Google Site Must Be Updated!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkgrady

What can I do about these computer generated phone calls?? I get 2-4 a day where a prerecorded message instructs me not to hang up and that I must update my Google Site, and to press one to do the update. I have done it a couple of times over the years but it is always followed up by a sales pitch to increase business. I always tell them that I don't want any more business. That is actually a lie but I am not interested in anything they offer.

I don't think these people even work for Google. They call me from phone numbers all over the country so I can't just block the number from my phone. Does anybody know how to stop these people from calling. It is really disruptive to my work and extremely annoying. The last time I answered their questions to update my site, and I refused their services, the same calls would come in the next day.

I have a web site. It generates a good amount of business. There is nothing these people can do to make my website go away but I worry that if they really work for Google and I continue to ignore them I might find my website much lower than near the top of the front page in my area. I have resorted to not answering my phone if it is an out of state phone number but sometimes they use local phone numbers. It's driving me crazy!

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Your website might be flagged because it is not up to Google snuff.
Google wants pictures and accurate information.
Make sure you claim your site and make the appropriate corrections. At least this will get the red flag off.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Those are advertising spam calls only few levels above the calls from "Windows" telling you that their system has received error reports from your computer and that all you need to do is give them remote administrative access to your machine and they will fix it.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
I have a web site. It generates a good amount of business. There is nothing these people can do to make my website go away but I worry that if they really work for Google and I continue to ignore them I might find my website much lower than near the top of the front page in my area. I have resorted to not answering my phone if it is an out of state phone number but sometimes they use local phone numbers. It's driving me crazy!

it's just spam.
here's what i do to deal with it on an iPhone:

OSX doesn't offer a silent ringtone.
third party folks do... i can't find the one i downloaded, but it was $5
or something like that... guy was in germany.

sometimes OSX will uninstall a silent ringtone... this one doesn't uninstall....
well, it hasn't happened yet.

then i make up a contact like this one:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2f9swiq7adib9tl/A1 PFC.vcf?dl=0

and set ringtone to silent, and everything else to off, and block it.

if you want that one, feel free to use it. there are currently 116 numbers on it.

it's got a fair bit of people on it.... equally split between numbers for
canadian pharmacy (eh!) wanting to sell me vicoden and oxycontin,
and phrophet manassas calling me to save me from satan.
with the odd telemarketer thrown in.

i get up to three of them a day.... and the fact that they are from
all over the country, i can't filter. i have general contractors from
all over the country, who get my name, and need work done...

mgookin

They are known as search engine optimization companies. They want to take your money in exchange for a promise to direct more traffic to your site from Google searches. They are not Google.

Depending on what business you're in and other factors it may or may not be equitable to use them.

PetrosA

I have a windows phone which allows me to block numbers for both calls and texts. I have about 55 numbers on the list at this point, as well as my number being listed on the do-not-call list. My phone won't ring for those numbers, but I will get a notification. It still doesn't stop them all, and I usually have to add about 2-3 numbers to the list per week, but it's getting better lately.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Yes these are spammers looking to sell you something.

To get them off your back ( at least fewer calls)
Claim your google add.
provide the information they want
Ph #
Hours
photos

And I bet you will reduce their calls.

mkgrady

Yes these are spammers looking to sell you something.

To get them off your back ( at least fewer calls)
Claim your google add.
provide the information they want
Ph #
Hours
photos

And I bet you will reduce their calls.
I think I have done that. But I'm not sure how to confirm that

rt66electric

reply this way

reply this way

I'm busier than I want to be and don't want to advertise.

I've spent my advertising budget on "toys"

My teenager is in charge of IT and goggle ads,

You found my number, therefore, anyone else can.

GrayHair

1. Record and save 6-10 seconds of silence.
  2. Create a contact named Don't Answer.
  3. Assign your silent recording as the ringtone for the contact (no vibrate).
  4. Assign the offending numbers to your new contact.
You aren't bothered by their calls and you can grin :D and chuckle :lol: when you review your missed call list.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I don't answer my business phone anymore unless I recognize the name or suspect it is a legitimate call. I bet over 90% of my calls are advertising. Google used to call 3 times a day. I finally answered and made them take me off the list. That worked for awhile and now they are calling again

I also get many calls from angie's list and yelp

ceb58

I'm waiting for the call saying they are sending law enforcement to arrest me for back IRS taxes. Ready to unload on that one:rant:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I'm waiting for the call saying they are sending law enforcement to arrest me for back IRS taxes. Ready to unload on that one:rant:
I got that one the other day on my personal line. The guy was very convincing so I can see why the elderly or less aware can get taken in. They need to shoot those guys

mgookin

Status
Not open for further replies.