Alternative to outdoor wire nuts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fmtjfw

Pardon my ignorance here, but is there actually a code section that requires the splices to be listed? I used to just use red or yellow wire nuts, and dip them in a can of Scotchcote.

110.14(B) Conductors shall be spliced or joined with splicing devices identified for the use or by brazing, welding, or soldering with a fusible metal or alloy. Soldered splices shall first be spliced or joined so as to be mechanically secure and electrically secure without solder and then be soldered. All splices and joints and the free ends of conductors shall be covered with an insulation equivalent to that of the conductors or with an identified insulation device.

Wire connectors or splicing means installed on conductors for direct burial shall be listed for such use.

Other provisions remove the insulation requirements for EGCs and prohibit soldering for same.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
I'm wondering if anyone here can suggest an alternative to outdoor wire nuts.

To be clear I'm talking about the type like those made by Drycon that come with the goo inside. I dislike these so much that I've continued to use Buchanan crimp connectors with noalox squirted in, even though I haven't been able to confirm they are approved for wet location use. (At least I know they won't come apart! )

Some kind of crimp connector with protective sealant would be ideal, I guess. I've tried searching the interwebs but there's just so many wire connector results I'm not sure I'd have found it if it exists.

Just curious, what do you dislike about them??

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Is a connector that is covered, enclosed, or encapsulated by something that is intended for direct bury "directly buried"? Seems not to me.

Would you consider "direct burial" as being distinct from "wet location"? The only difference I can see is that direct burial is, by inference, something that might be subject to damage by a shovel or some such. Even if encased in conduit, it's still going to get wet; we all know that.

JFletcher

Would you consider "direct burial" as being distinct from "wet location"? The only difference I can see is that direct burial is, by inference, something that might be subject to damage by a shovel or some such. Even if encased in conduit, it's still going to get wet; we all know that.

Direct burial doesnt need a splice box. Wet location splices still have to be made in boxes.

OP did not say whether his outdoor application was direct buried or not though.

true. op didnt mention burial at all, just wet locations.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
OP did not say whether his outdoor application was direct buried or not though.

Not direct burial. Just rooftop J-boxes.

Not sure if they have these - http://www.absoluteautomation.com/klickit-c8816-burial-splice-kit/ - in a size that would work for you, but for telephone wires (alarm wire) they've been working well for us. We have some that been in the field 20+ years now and haven't failed.

$17 each? :eek:hmy: Um, sorry, but no thanks.

Just curious, what do you dislike about them??

Basically no matter how hard I try, the goo comes off onto my fingers. Once that happens, you're done for. Intalling wire nuts is not something that can be done well with greasy hands. You can't twist them as tight before your fingers start slipping, and you can't do a good tug test either because your fingers slip. Because of this, or perhaps even also because of some other aspect of their design, I find it consistently difficult and time consuming to get good connections. Bottom line, I don't trust them when I walk away, even if I had plenty of time and worked patiently to check them all and carefully close up my box. If I was in a hurry, well...

Compare to splice caps, where I have some concern about moisture collecting in them, but at least I know I made a good splice.

kwired

Electron manager
Not direct burial. Just rooftop J-boxes.

$17 each? :eek:hmy: Um, sorry, but no thanks.

Basically no matter how hard I try, the goo comes off onto my fingers. Once that happens, you're done for. Intalling wire nuts is not something that can be done well with greasy hands. You can't twist them as tight before your fingers start slipping, and you can't do a good tug test either because your fingers slip. Because of this, or perhaps even also because of some other aspect of their design, I find it consistently difficult and time consuming to get good connections. Bottom line, I don't trust them when I walk away, even if I had plenty of time and worked patiently to check them all and carefully close up my box. If I was in a hurry, well...

Compare to splice caps, where I have some concern about moisture collecting in them, but at least I know I made a good splice.
So why not just make sure to arrange them so they drain any moisture that should condense there? Do you use gel filled terminals of some sort on your HVAC equipment or disconnect terminations that are on that rooftop as well?

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
Yes, 110.14(B) - "Wire connectors or splicing means installed on conductors for direct burial shall be listed for such use".

I wasn't referring to direct burial and honestly didn't even think of it. I have never done a direct burial splice in my career. I was referring to a handhole splice.

kwired

Electron manager
I wasn't referring to direct burial and honestly didn't even think of it. I have never done a direct burial splice in my career. I was referring to a handhole splice.

Hand hole is close enough to being direct burial, and in some cases is even "submerged" when runoff water is present, where other direct burial applications seldom if ever see that much water.

Strathead

Occupation
Hand hole is close enough to being direct burial, and in some cases is even "submerged" when runoff water is present, where other direct burial applications seldom if ever see that much water.

Are you saying that a handhole is "direct burial" in reference to the code section? Because I don't interpret it that way.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
So why not just make sure to arrange them so they drain any moisture that should condense there? Do you use gel filled terminals of some sort on your HVAC equipment or disconnect terminations that are on that rooftop as well?

That's what we do, but occasionally we get flack from inspectors as to whether the Buchanans are outdoor rated.

This is for solar, BTW, but that doesn't change anything about the question.

Strathead

Occupation
Technically it is not, but practically - it may as well be in many cases.

For my part in this thread I referred to dipping regular wire nuts in Scotchcote. I was referring to being in a handhole. I personally would be comfortable with this method being sufficiently watertight even for direct burial, but would never do it because of the code. But in a handhole I am aware of a code section that requires anything more than a normal wire nut period. So the Scotchcote is just good work practice. The thing is I am not sure that there isn't something that specifically addresses this so I am not making a statement that it is. Your post in an ambivalent response so I would like you to clear it up with a position on whether there is a code section that requires something special for splices in a handhole. Even one that may be immersed in water during a heavy rain.

kwired

Electron manager
For my part in this thread I referred to dipping regular wire nuts in Scotchcote. I was referring to being in a handhole. I personally would be comfortable with this method being sufficiently watertight even for direct burial, but would never do it because of the code. But in a handhole I am aware of a code section that requires anything more than a normal wire nut period. So the Scotchcote is just good work practice. The thing is I am not sure that there isn't something that specifically addresses this so I am not making a statement that it is. Your post in an ambivalent response so I would like you to clear it up with a position on whether there is a code section that requires something special for splices in a handhole. Even one that may be immersed in water during a heavy rain.
Not certain on code other then 110.3(B) should still apply in absence of any other specific section addressing this.

Can tell you from experience from service calls that if it isn't water tight - and especially if aluminum conductors - it will fail.

Strathead

Occupation
Not certain on code other then 110.3(B) should still apply in absence of any other specific section addressing this.

Can tell you from experience from service calls that if it isn't water tight - and especially if aluminum conductors - it will fail.

In a past life I worked on nuclear submarines. They had a written procedure to splice cables. It was staggered butt splices covered with 2 half lap layers of fusing rubber tape, covered by 2 half lap layers of scotch 33 tape serving twine and then a coat of Scotchcote for water proofing so, I am fairly OK with its ability to hold out water. Obviously though, if person didn't make sure there weren't air bubbles all bets are off.

Status
Not open for further replies.