two breakers trip but only one circuit is faulted

Status
Not open for further replies.

7bomber7

:cool:In a 277 lighting panel, two 20 amp breakers tripped. Each is on a different phase from the other. One of the circuits (circuit #2) could be reset but only if the other circuit (circuit #1) stayed off. Circuit #1 would not reset. The load on both are outdoors and are 100 feet, say, from the panel. I am asking why circuit #2 trips but then can be reset?
From my investigation, I believe the two circuits share a single neutral conductor. I believe circuit #1 is faulted to the neutral (not to ground). When both circuits are simultaneously energized, circuit #2 is also faulted through the neutral and the fault of circuit #1 to the line voltage of circuit #1 (we now have phase to phase voltage on the load of circuit #2). Therefore, it trips. But, so long as #1 circuit is tripped, the line conductor of circuit #1 is open and, therefore, circuit #2 does not trip.
Whaddayuh think? Has anyone experienced this before? where a shared neutral resulted in the trip of an unfaulted circuit because of a fault in the other circuit on the neutral? I am supposing that the long neutral is a factor because the voltage drop in the neutral would cause circuit #2 to be reactive to the condition of circuit #1.
Any experience or thoughts is greatly appreciated. Bomber

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Sounds like you have a double feed on the circuit. When both are on you have a phase to phase short. However

I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum rules. This Forum is intended to assist professional electricians, inspectors, engineers, and other members of the electrical industry in the performance of their job-related tasks. However, if you are not an electrician or an electrical contractor, then we are not permitted to help you perform your own electrical installation work.

If I have misjudged the situation, if for example this project is related to your work, then send me a Private Message. If you can show me that I am wrong, and that you are a licensed electrician (or at least a licensed apprentice), then I will reopen your post, and offer an apology for the delay and inconvenience.

A reminder to all members, if you see a questionable post, feel free to report it by clicking the
report-40b.png
button at the bottom left corner of the post.

Status
Not open for further replies.