plumbing apprentice

Status
Not open for further replies.

kkel

okay so I went to school for plumbing & heating for 4 years tho it wasn't necessarily an apprentice class, but we basically learned everything an apprentice would.. so heres my question, in pa it doesn't require you to have an apprenticeship so there for could I get my journeyman's license ? the requirements are similar in some ways the class was 4 years and the journeymans requirements require you attend an apprentice course and have 576 hours of classroom work

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
okay so I went to school for plumbing & heating for 4 years tho it wasn't necessarily an apprentice class, but we basically learned everything an apprentice would.. so heres my question, in pa it doesn't require you to have an apprenticeship so there for could I get my journeyman's license ? the requirements are similar in some ways the class was 4 years and the journeymans requirements require you attend an apprentice course and have 576 hours of classroom work

I think that part of being an apprentice is doing the work.

If the state will allow you to get a jman plumber license without going through an apprenticeship, and that is what you want to do, why not just go do it instead of asking on an electrical site.

kwired

Electron manager
I agree on the comment about what does this have to do with this being an electrical site.

That said in comparison, here in the electrical trade anyway, there is no formal apprentice program that must be followed before you can apply to become a journeyman. You do however need to have experience and any formal training documented somehow and present that as proof of required experience before you can even take the journeyman test. Registering as an apprentice is a way of helping with tracking that experience.

The rules do vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction so you would be best to look at the rules of the jurisdiction you wish to get a journeyman license from. What someone else tells you may not apply where you are at.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
I agree on the comment about what does this have to do with this being an electrical site.

That said in comparison, here in the electrical trade anyway, there is no formal apprentice program that must be followed before you can apply to become a journeyman. You do however need to have experience and any formal training documented somehow and present that as proof of required experience before you can even take the journeyman test. Registering as an apprentice is a way of helping with tracking that experience.

The rules do vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction so you would be best to look at the rules of the jurisdiction you wish to get a journeyman license from. What someone else tells you may not apply where you are at.

Michigan requires an apprenticeship of 800 hours in an accredited school plus 8000 hours working as a registered apprentice under the direct supervision of a licensed j-man or master before the license exam can be taken. You have to pass the license exam to get a license, of course, and you must be licensed in order to do electrical work in Michigan.

kkel

I know my question has nothing to do with electrical, I just was curious what your opinions were, and I also looked up the question online and clicked on a link that took me to this page. so I just thought I would give it a tr.
Thank you all :D

Status
Not open for further replies.