Kitchen Pop-up outlets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
So how do you comply with putting a recep in a 24" wall between a bedroom door and the closet when you open a 24" door against it?

I don't think that is an issue since the receptacle is on the building surface and not inside a cabinet. IMO, what you showed should be fine as I can argue that it is not inside a cabinet or cupbard. Your examples of a door opening into a room against a wall is taking it to the extreme but it is not in a cabinet so it is not an issue.

mwm1752

480sparky completely missed my jest.
Dennis brings up an interesting point - If this is the required receptacle for a kitchen island countertop can it be hidden behind the door as not readily accessible -- but if the same island countertop already had an readily accessible receptacle & this was a non required addition could this still be part of the App circuit. Still playing devils advocate --

This also brings me to further query - can a receptacle in an appliance garage be on the same circuit as the required App circuit?

kwired

Electron manager
480sparky completely missed my jest.
Dennis brings up an interesting point - If this is the required receptacle for a kitchen island countertop can it be hidden behind the door as not readily accessible -- but if the same island countertop already had an readily accessible receptacle & this was a non required addition could this still be part of the App circuit. Still playing devils advocate --

This also brings me to further query - can a receptacle in an appliance garage be on the same circuit as the required App circuit?
The appliance garage has had modifications in recent years as far as if inside the garage it don't count for the counter outside the garage - but I believe it still has to be on a SABC. A space dedicated for a specific appliance other then refrigeration equipment does not have to be on SABC though.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The appliance garage has had modifications in recent years as far as if inside the garage it don't count for the counter outside the garage - but I believe it still has to be on a SABC. A space dedicated for a specific appliance other then refrigeration equipment does not have to be on SABC though.

I agree. The appliance garage receptacle never counted for the required small appliance branch circuit in our area. It is inside a cabinet and thus does not satisfy the NEC.

Status
Not open for further replies.