NEC 250.66 Transformer Grounding Bar

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcnj

I am on a project where we are installing appx. 10 30kva-65kva transformers fed from one distribution panel. All transformers GEC will be tied into a single Grounding Bar that goes to building steel. Am I correct in saying the GEC sizing to the ground at should be the sum of all 10 GEC's to the transformers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I agree with Bob #3/0 is the minimum and the maximum required for a common grounding electrode that serves more than one transformer.

bcnj

So even if I had 100 30kva transformers it will still be a 3/0?

I am thinking it 250.66 Note#1 is applicable.

Notes:
1. Where multiple sets of service-entrance conductors are used as permitted in 230.40, Exception No. 2, the equivalent size of the largest service-entrance conductor shall be determined by the largest sum of the areas of the corresponding conductors of each set.

jumper

Notes:
1. Where multiple sets of service-entrance conductors are used as permitted in 230.40, Exception No. 2, the equivalent size of the largest service-entrance conductor shall be determined by the largest sum of the areas of the corresponding conductors of each set.

You would still end up with a 3/0

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)

Notes:

Not applicable:

Is these transformers are fed from a distribution panel the secondaries would not be service conductors.
Note 1 applies to parallel condcutors (connected together at both ends)

bcnj

You are getting the size of the EGC based off of table 250.66. The table is labeled for service conductors.

Also, in theory, can someone argue that there is or is no limit to the amount you can place in a 3/0 wire?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
You are getting the size of the EGC based off of table 250.66. The table is labeled for service conductors.

Also, in theory, can someone argue that there is or is no limit to the amount you can place in a 3/0 wire?

ECGs are never sized using Table 250.66.

bcnj

Except 250.66 Note 1

Notes:

bcnj

Add the Circular Mils for each GEC and make sure your main GEC is equal or greater.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Except 250.66 Note 1

Notes:
You cannot exceed "Over 1100" or "Over 1750". :huh:

Status
Not open for further replies.