12-2 w g

Status
Not open for further replies.

domnic

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
What is the dimension of 12-wg (romex) for conduit fill ( sq. in.) ?

kwired

Electron manager
What is the dimension of 12-wg (romex) for conduit fill ( sq. in.) ?
Which manufacturer an how old is it? Over the years they seem to get smaller overall dimension, I doubt there is any standard dimension that applies to all. The contained conductors will of course comply with AWG dimensions, however individual conductor insulation doesn't need to comply with any particular dimension AFAIK, though most likely are same or very close to same thing as THHN.

domnic

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
12-wg

12-wg

Southwire says their 12-wg is .41 sq. in. the 53% one wire fill for 1/2 emt is .161 sq. in. how can I put romex in 1/2 emt what I'm I missing ?

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
Southwire says their 12-wg is .41 sq. in. the 53% one wire fill for 1/2 emt is .161 sq. in. how can I put romex in 1/2 emt what I'm I missing ?
Southwire says the wire diameter is 0.41 inches. So the wire cross section is (pi/4) * d^2 = 0.132 square inches, which is less than 0.161 square inches.

Cheers, Wayne

kwired

Electron manager
Thank you I miss read the .41 diameter as cu.in.
You misread as square inches of cross section, the diameter apparently is .41 inches, but you have to base your fill as if that .41 was a round cable and find the area of a .41 inch diameter cable. Actual cross section is less then that because it is not round though, but maximum width still has to fit in similar fashion as maximum diameter of a truly round cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.