1600 amp gear wire size/parallel feed question

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
I was responding to knightryder12s post not the op. He said he likes to use 5 sets for services. When we do new services 1600 amp or bigger they're typically ug, actually our utility doesn't give any other options than that. So your question about "this run" is somewhat lost on me, can you elaborate?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Your 'magic number' only applies to underground instaltion. No one had mentioned underground and no one here can read your mind.

ADub

Occupation
Estimator/Project Manager
Your 'magic number' only applies to underground instaltion. No one had mentioned underground and no one here can read your mind.

Maybe you don't get around much anymore but I specifically stated services in my post and I don't think anyone here assumes a 1600 amp overhead service. Keep trying to pick my post apart if you want but you're coming off kind of ignorant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Knightryder12

Occupation
Sr. Electrical Designer/Project Manager
My bad 300.3(b)(1) exception

(1) Paralleled Installations. Conductors shall be permitted to be run in parallel in accordance with the provisions of 310.10(H). The requirement to run all circuit conductors within the same raceway, auxiliary gutter, cable tray, trench, cable, or cord shall apply separately to each portion of the paralleled installation, and the equipment grounding conductors shall comply with the provisions of 250.122. Parallel runs in cable tray shall comply with the provisions of 392.20(C).
Exception:  Conductors installed in nonmetallic raceways run underground shall be permitted to be arranged as isolated phase installations. The raceways shall be installed in close proximity, and the conductors shall comply with the provisions of 300.20(B).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Doesn't this exception allow for each conduit to have all A phase in one conduit and all B phases in one conduit etc.... It doesn't limit the number of conduits to 4 or a multiple of 4 if you put A,B,C & N in one conduit or am I reading that wrong?

ADub

Occupation
Estimator/Project Manager
Doesn't this exception allow for each conduit to have all A phase in one conduit and all B phases in one conduit etc.... It doesn't limit the number of conduits to 4 or a multiple of 4 if you put A,B,C & N in one conduit or am I reading that wrong?

4 sets is just the best way to utilize the exception in a Y system. I'll let iwire field any other questions on the subject, I think he's got a picture somewhere he likes to share.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
4 sets is just the best way to utilize the exception in a Y system. I'll let iwire field any other questions on the subject, I think he's got a picture somewhere he likes to share.

Just keep in mind you always have to derate when making that install, where as if you put all 3 phases and the neutral in a common conduit, you may not have to derate.

Status
Not open for further replies.