Bonding a metal mast

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpinetree

Is a metal mast bonded to the building steel with its mounting hardware?

A metal mast is being installed on a metal building 80' from the service entrance.
The mast will have a wifi access point on the top.
The only power going up the mast is POE.
The main mounting brackets for the mast will be bolted to the structural steel.

We plan to drive a ground rod and use a clamp at the base of the mast.
Is that sufficient?
Do we need to run a bond wire back to the main service?
Do we need to run a bond wire to the structural steel at the mast location?

mwm1752

Is the power coming into the top of the mast? are the conductors unfused? are you running a an underground service lateral or a feeder to the mast?

cpinetree

Is the power coming into the top of the mast? are the conductors unfused? are you running a an underground service lateral or a feeder to the mast?

The mast is a mounting point for the wifi acces point only.
The only power inside the mast is from the POE (Power Over Ethernet)
The conductors are likely fused by something in the POE injector (I really do not know for sure)
We are not running any service or feeder to the mast.

Think of it as, an antenna above a steel building. Only thing running through it is Cat5

We are in Florida and lightning is a possibility (certainty):)

Last edited:

ceb58

If you drive a rod and bond to the metal building then that wire should go back to the service equipment to be bonded with the service neutral and GEC.

At a communications site, there shall be only one grounding (earthing) electrode system. For example, the AC power system ground, communications tower ground, lightning protection system ground, telephone system ground, exposed structural building steel, underground metallic piping that enters the facility, and any other existing grounding electrode system shall be bonded together to form a single grounding electrode system (ANSI T1.313-2003; ANSI T1.333-2001; ANSI T1.334-2002; IEC 610241-2, section 2.4.4; IEEE STD 1100-1999; NFPA 70-2005, Articles 250.58, 250.104, 250.106, 800.100, 810.21, and 820.100; and NFPA 780-2004, Section 4.14).
All grounding media in or on a structure shall be interconnected to provide a common ground potential. This shall include, but is not limited to, the AC power system ground, communications tower ground, lightning protection system ground, telephone system ground, exposed structural building steel, and underground metallic piping systems. Underground metallic piping systems typically include water service, well castings located within 7.6 m (25 ft.) of the structure, gas piping, underground conduits, underground liquefied petroleum gas piping systems, and so on. Interconnection to a gas line shall be made on the customer's side of the meter (NFPA 780-2004, Section 4.14.1.3).

This is wording from Motorola's R56 guide lines for communication towers.

resistance

Is a metal mast bonded to the building steel with its mounting hardware?
If the building steel is connected to a GES.

We plan to drive a ground rod and use a clamp at the base of the mast.
Is that sufficient?
If its mounted to the building steel, and the building steel is connected to a GES, then I see no reason why you would need the rod ( 8 foot rod).
Do we need to run a bond wire back to the main service?
Maybe! Is the structural steel connected to a GES? If the structural steel isn’t apart of the GES, you can terminate to any point of the GES using a #6 conductor and proper grounding clamp.
Wait for others—as I’m not at my best on grounding and bonding :roll:

Smart $

Esteemed Member
If the building steel is connected to a GES.
If its mounted to the building steel, and the building steel is connected to a GES, then I see no reason why you would need the rod ( 8 foot rod).
Maybe! Is the structural steel connected to a GES? If the structural steel isn’t apart of the GES, you can terminate to any point of the GES using a #6 conductor and proper grounding clamp.
Wait for others—as I’m not at my best on grounding and bonding :roll:
I agree, mostly... definitely not about the waiting for others part. :angel:

Also, I believe only a #10 is required for com' bonding jumper. #6 if one plants a new rod.

Status
Not open for further replies.