WHEN I NEED TO BREAK THE NEUTRAL OF AN AC DISCONNECT SWITCH?

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The only place I know of that it's required is in the service disconnect. {230.75}

Please turn off the CAP lock. :cool:

iwire

Staff member
The only place I know of that it's required is in the service disconnect. {230.75}

And it can be a sperate link, it does not have to happen when you open the service disconnect.

On the other hand the power supply to fuel dispensers is required to break the neutral with the hots.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
514.11 would require the grounded conductor to be disconnected simultaneously with the phase conductors on dispensing equipment.

kwired

Electron manager
WHAT IS THE CRITERIA FOR BREAKING NEUTRAL OF DISCONNECT SWITCH?CODE REFERENCES PLEASE?
For most applications there is no requirement to break the neutral with the disconnect switch. If you do break it, it must be simultaneously or after the ungrounded conductors are opened, as well as simultaneous or first make when closing the switch.

kwired

Electron manager
what about disconnect switch serving AHU/Ac unit unit having it's builtin controller inside?
You are not required to break the neutral with the disconnect. If you do, it must open simultaneously with the ungrounded conductors.

Most units like you are describing will not have a neutral, in North America anyway.

jumper

On phone, do not have NEC handy.

My feeble brain vaguely remembered something about motors and breaking the noodle.

Do not recall if the section was about a situation where it was required or permitted.

Anyone got a NEC close? Somewhere in 430.

This was something besides a fuel dispenser I think or maybe not.

mustafa

You are not required to break the neutral with the disconnect. If you do, it must open simultaneously with the ungrounded conductors.

Most units like you are describing will not have a neutral, in North America anyway.

i have neutral at field wiring because there is an auxiliary transformer 230V

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
400/230 volt Y system?

If so does NEC apply? NEC wouldn't require breaking the neutral but such a system is not normally in areas where NEC does apply, I think.
Even though the system is not specifically mentioned the NFPA is an "International Codes and Standards Organization" which is the reason some things are mentioned in the NEC that are not used in most areas.

For example, I don't think flammable anesthetics are used in US hospitals however they are in some other countries which is the reason they are still mentioned in article 517.

Roger

kwired

Electron manager
Even though the system is not specifically mentioned the NFPA is an "International Codes and Standards Organization" which is the reason some things are mentioned in the NEC that are not used in most areas.

For example, I don't think flammable anesthetics are used in US hospitals however they are in some other countries which is the reason they are still mentioned in article 517.

Roger
NFPA wants to be international, they are not everywhere though.

Try to comply with 210.52 and a few other places where 15/20 amp 120 volt outlets are requried when you don't even have 120 volts present in your supply system;)

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
NFPA wants to be international, they are not everywhere though.
Look at the cover of your code book. That doesn't mean it's adopted by every country but it is used as a guide by many.

Roger

mustafa

For most applications there is no requirement to break the neutral with the disconnect switch. If you do break it, it must be simultaneously or after the ungrounded conductors are opened, as well as simultaneous or first make when closing the switch.

what is the technical explanation behind breaking neutral feeding dispensers?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
what is the technical explanation behind breaking neutral feeding dispensers?
Not sure if it is "the" reason, but if the POCO or feeder neutral is compromised, then the neutral wire could end up at a potential above ground. By opening the neutral too you can be more assured that no electrical energy is entering the dispenser.

Sahib

WHAT IS THE CRITERIA FOR BREAKING NEUTRAL OF DISCONNECT SWITCH?
You may use a 4 pole disconnect switch in addition to any surge protector to switch off any vulnerable equipment to be protected from severe surges during a thunderstorm.

mustafa

I have found this in Siemens safety switch catalouge

4 & 6 pole switches are commonly used

as a disconnecting means for two-
speed, two-winding motors. Fused
switches provide both over current and
short-circuit protection. Non-fusible
switches normally provide a local
disconnection means for two-speed
motors, which are remote from their
motor controller. 4 pole switches are
also used in 3-phase, 4-wire circuits
when a switching neutral is required.
All 4 & 6 pole switches are service

entrance rated

Sahib

One more advantage of using a 4 pole disconnect switch is a surge would not pass over its disconnected neutral contacts to endanger maintenance personnel servicing an equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.