AFCIs That Don't Include GFCI Protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The last time I reviewed information on Eaton AFCI's, the CH line still has GFP but they removed GFP from the BR line.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
The last time I reviewed information on Eaton AFCI's, the CH line still has GFP but they removed GFP from the BR line.

Can you point to documentation for the BR line of AFCIs not having a GFP component?

I've just been re-reading the Instruction Leaflet for Type CH BR QB and CL CAFCI and the instructions make no such distinction that I can see, yet one is warned to test for continuity between the load neutral and the EGC as a troubleshooting technique.

kwired

Electron manager
That is correct, that is why the newer BR breakers are now the size of a standard breaker whereas they used to be much larger.
You mean they took out everything that is not normally in a standard breaker and now have a standard breaker with a different label and a test button?:D

al hildenbrand

Occupation
That is correct, . . .
Can you document your claim?

The installation instructions that I link to in my post above states that the BR CAFCI won't work when there is a Ground Fault:

General troubleshooting guidelines
• Use the TEST button to ensure that the breaker is working properly:
• With the white pigtail wire connected to the neutral bar, or the neutral clip plugged onto the neutral bar, press the TEST button
• If the breaker trips, the unit is working correctly
• If the breaker does not trip, replace the AFCI breaker
• Check for grounding problems:
Shared neutral circuits, grounded neutrals, or manufacturing defects in fixtures can cause leakage current to be present on the circuit
• At the loadcenter, check continuity between the load neutral wire and the ground wire
• If continuity exists, find the location of the fault and correct the issue

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Al, the document you are looking at is old (2011). If you go to the Eaton web site and look at the literature for BR breakers then CH breakers it will show that the BR doesn't have GFP. If I have time tonight I'll try to post the info.

I also believe Don was told by and Eaton rep that the GFP has been removed. I was just correcting him on which line it has been removed from (BR-economy line not the CH-premium line)

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Thanks, Curt. While the instructions are dated, they were just downloaded from Eaton's web site just five days ago. After Don said he didn't have any documentation I went searching and the link I posted was to the most recent documentation Eaton offered.

I'm very curious to learn about Eaton's instructions for a non- GFP BR (or CH) AFCI. I hope you can find it. :D

Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.