Outlet box placement

Status
Not open for further replies.

JFletcher

Not illegal, tho there appear to be 2 code violations there: no staple within 12" of the box on the bottom piece of NM, and drywall cut more than 3/16" around box (hard to tell).

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Those type of boxes require the staple to be within 8". Nothing wrong with the proximity to the shower body.

kwired

Electron manager
Not illegal, tho there appear to be 2 code violations there: no staple within 12" of the box on the bottom piece of NM, and drywall cut more than 3/16" around box (hard to tell).
Pretty sure the rule is 1/8" not 3/16", but a little drywall compound or about anything non combustible will make it compliant.

JFletcher

Pretty sure the rule is 1/8" not 3/16", but a little drywall compound or about anything non combustible will make it compliant.

Youre right; 312.4. Maybe was thinking 3mm = 3/16", which it doesnt. Also was thinking the OPs box with those wings qualified as clamps, thus the 12" mention vs 8" for boxes w/o clamps.

iwire

Staff member
Thank you for the replies. My co-worker was arguing with me about whether or not that box was in a wet location.

Tell your co-worker there are building codes for wet locations and standard studs and drywall do not meet those rules.

kwired

Electron manager
Youre right; 312.4. Maybe was thinking 3mm = 3/16", which it doesnt. Also was thinking the OPs box with those wings qualified as clamps, thus the 12" mention vs 8" for boxes w/o clamps.
What wings - that is a nail on box and it has no integral clamps.

kwired

Electron manager
Look at the top left or the box with the 2 NM thru it- the piece of plastic between the two - when I first saw the pic I was thinking that was a clamp, but it isnt, just a pre-punched KO.
I saw that right away. Seems to be typical for that box to just spin the KO 90 degrees and then insert cable, I never gave it any thought as to being a clamp as I have seen them that way many times.

kwired

Electron manager
If the box doesn't have a clamp you have no choice and must staple within 8".

One gang box however is the only box allowed to not have a clamp.

Status
Not open for further replies.