Any Saving

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sahib

Ours is a MV supply. Due to reduction in load, LV supply is sufficient. Any saving achievable in going over to LV supply? Thanks.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Ours is a MV supply. Due to reduction in load, LV supply is sufficient. Any saving achievable in going over to LV supply? Thanks.

Unless there are significant maintenance issues, I'd leave well enough alone. Unless you're simply changing the taps in an existing transformer you're at least going to incur the cost of that new equipment.

Saturn_Europa

Occupation
Electrician Limited License NC
Are you talking about switching over from Medium Voltage to Low Voltage? I would definitely switch to Low Voltage. Much safer and equipment generally costs much less.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Are you talking about switching over from Medium Voltage to Low Voltage? I would definitely switch to Low Voltage. Much safer and equipment generally costs much less.
But if they already have the MV and do not need to extend or replace it there will be no added expense.
Would the maintenance on the MV, including having the right skills, cost enough to justify the conversion?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
But if they already have the MV and do not need to extend or replace it there will be no added expense.
Would the maintenance on the MV, including having the right skills, cost enough to justify the conversion?

the thing is that he is in India so there is no way to know what the tariffs are there. he didn't even bother to tell us what his load is changing from and to.

there is just no answer to those kind of questions.

Sahib

Thanks for your replies.

The standard text book answer is the MV supply is generally cheaper than LV supply. But here in telephone exchanges' conversion of existing 11KV 3 phase MV supply (here it is called High Tension supply) to 415V 3 phase LV supply (here it is called Low Tension supply)due to connected load less than 113KW is always shown to be having lower cost. I wonder how that may be possible.
A sample tariff details is herewith attached for your kind scrutiny (Here Rs means Indian Rupees and Ps means paises-hundredths of a Rupee)

http://www.tangedco.gov.in/linkpdf/Approvedtariffrates(12.12.2014).pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.